Tuesday, February 25, 2014

out of the winter hole

Back from the break I never meant to take! It just happened. I fell into the winter hole. If you're a hibernator, you know how it goes. Over December I read every book by Alexander McCall Smith I could find, during January I don't even know what I did, and the greater part of this month I spent on the sofa with a crochet hook working on a new neurotic blanket, drinking beer and watching the Olympics. (If only the Olympics knew what a couch potato it inspired in me this year!) 

I've been Instagramming regularly from the winter hole, which I love to do, because it captures fleeting moments quite neatly. Snap and post. The downside of it is that Instagram doesn't really support extensive introspection or prattling on; time and attention spans there are short, so who wants to hear it? But I've missed doing that, so I'm back here where I can talk to myself. 

Working backwards (and I will probably have to break this up into several posts over the next week to connect to where I left off in December):


How I woke up yesterday (a little prankster jacked up the iPad to full volume)


On top of all the snow days, we also had a February break last week and were sick of being housebound, so we hopped a train to the city (the novelty of having New York City in our back yard has never and will never wear off).


We met the bubble guy while walking through Central Slush (the day everything started melting)


Partook in an artsy activity at the Jewish Museum (we were there for the Art Spiegelman Co-Mix exhibit) and I fell in love with these arty thingies, which I found out later were Crayola Color Sticks. Not crayons, not pastels. Pure colored pencils -- without the wood. They are geniuses of little devices. Gorgeous color.


And the same goes for the posies on the Upper East Side. Thank you New York for always having fresh flowers on the street.


We took to the ice, where we got top scores in falling down and hanging onto the side railing.


Scaled trees that didn't look very scaleworthy.


Built a downright kick-ass Slip & Sled slope in the back yard (with feet of snow, it rather built itself.)


Took a whirlwind trip to see Grandma J for the day.


I left a clue for my Valentine to find his prize (it was a lemon meringue pie which turned out to be more like lemon meringue pudding)


Cleaned my art room; no longer do I have to shove around stacks of crap to get to everything! At least for now.


And this is what happened when the girls woke up early one morning and made their own breakfast.

During January, the school runs a lunchtime workshop program staffed by parent volunteers to help keep the kids from going insane from day after day of recess in the hallways. I taught Do-a-Doodle again to the 1st & 2nd graders (I also brought donuts, which upped the popularity this time).


After each Do-a-Doodle session I hightailed it to the other end of the school & did Tape Crazy with the 3rd - 5th graders.


I started a scrappy light garland inspired by Lisa, which has me squealing in delight one minute (it looks really neat when it lights up) and cursing the next -- it requires a lot of fabric scraps and is slow moving. But I will finish.


Same goes for the neurotic blanket. Crochet is agonizingly slow. Ideal for a winter hole activity. Four more stripes to go.


I also doodled a new welcome sign, which seems like a good place to halt for now. If anyone is still out there, welcome back! I know there are two friends who still check in, because they kindly wrote to find out if I had perished, and I think Bella stops by once in a while too. So I'll put the virtual coffee on for at least four, and if anyone else is in the neighborhood, come on in. The door to The Artsyville Cafe is open again!

29 comments:

Emie58 said...

LOVE the pics of your gals in such colorful outfits!!! They're adorable!!!!!
Emie

aimee said...

Hey Emie!! Thanks for coming back! :)

Ellyn said...

glad to see you back blogging. I always love to see what you've been up to

Kristen (Creative Stash) said...

Hi Amiee! It's been a slow moving year for me too so far but, that is what I love about Jan & Feb. Welcome back, I always love to see what you are up to!

lcmarschall said...

Glad you're back, I missed you!! Not totally though, you did keep in touch on Instagram!! Ya'll have had a brutal winter and we've had hardly any. I think Winter is over and Pollan has begun here!! Hope it's Spring for you soon!

Kelly Kono said...

Yay, you're back! Glad to hear you were just taking a blog break, but not a creative break!

aimee said...

hi Ellyn, Kristen, Laura & Kelly... thanks! it's like returning after a long vacation... I missed my home! :)

Rachael Stanley said...

Yay! Glad you're back! The internet was a less colorful place while you took your break. But I understand, being a winter hibernator as well!

Linda said...

So good to hear from you again- I have truly missed your fun and vibrant posts Aimee!

Karen said...

That's a long, nice list! What I personally like most? The books of Alexander McCall Smith! I have (read) the whole series of Mma Ramotswe, even made a stamp of her about a year ago. She's definitely my most favorite! Waiting for the paperback-edition of the latest one (nr. 14)to arrive in my mailbox :)

Chel said...

What a great post! I hibernated for most of January, too. I think I still am hibernating, to be honest.

Bella Sinclair said...

Dang right, I come back! I needs my dose of Artsyville. You're a better jolt of happy than any cuppa, my friend.

Ooooh!!! So many fantastic sights, my head is spinning! Fresh flowers in NYC, completely agree with you. And ice skating! Love your colorful boots and bright art room. If these photos are from your winter hole, then tell me where to jump in. I need to be there.

Saw pictures of a performance artist who crocheted herself into a giant yarn cocoon. Hehe. Yours is coming along beautifully!

I missed you! Glad to see you back!

seven swirls designs said...

Thanks goodness for Instagram for my frequent shots of Artsy color! Good to see you back in my Feedly, too, though. :)

Jenny Lee said...

yippee-skippe!! welcome back aimee!!! you were greatly missed-but glad you took some time off. it's great to hear and see what you've been up to. is the author you mention the one who writes the no 1 ladies detective stories? i haven't read a single one as yet but will check it out on my next library trip. anywho-i agree with all the other comments-cyberspace was not as colorful or fun without you. i've almost filled the journal with doodles that i got in my gift package from november i think. i love the new artsyville sign btw. looking forward to hearing/seeing on all you've been up to and what's next!

Jenny said...

ps-i've been having fun with the book Creative Lettering from my library. i was so excited to see you are one of the contributing artists-"a human was here-love that-the wash of color before lettering-and i agree, the alphabet is an amazing art tool :)

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Welcome back. I'm staying for some tea too!

Love all the colourful photos and I'll keep my eyes open for those colour sticks!

cactus petunia said...

Yay! I just climbed out of my winter hole, too, but have yet to post…thanks for the ArtsyInspiration!

Annabelle said...

I think the Winter Hole is a great space for creativity!
: ) Love your art room and your girls are cute in their colourful outfits.

Annabelle : )

Ces Adorio said...

Your blog is a salve for sore eyes. The colors rock. You have such contagious energy. happy New year to you and yours!

Karen Blados said...

We woke up to three more inches of snow today ... and cried. You know it's bad when kids aren't excited to see snow! Your colors perked me right back up, so thanks!!! And the flowers ... I miss flowers.

Artsy Matilda said...

Yay! You're back! Welcome ... and I'll be joining in the coffee drinking! Glad to know y'all haven't frozen solid. Spring will come soon, right??
xo Cheri~

carolyn said...

Lovely surprise to see a new and extended post today!! Deep thanks.

carolyn said...

Lovely surprise to see a new and extended post today!! Deep thanks.

aimee said...

thanks Rachael, Linda & Chel -- I think I still may have one foot in the winter hole -- but hopefully coming back here will help me get the other one out for good!

aimee said...

Karen -- I'm hooked! :) I don't know how he puts out so many books but I love them all!

Bella -- I knew you wouldn't let me down! Free cuppa on the house.

Karen B -- that's how long I've been away, I have no idea how to use Feedly...

Jenny L -- yes, that's the one! and thanks!

Marcia -- tea is always on here!

Cactus -- welcome back from the hole!

Annabelle -- I agree! :) and thanks!

Artsy M: I think today was the day I froze solid -- I can't take it much more...

Carolyn -- thanks for coming back! xo

Tracey Fletcher King said...

I do love a glimpse into your colour filled days even in that awful weather... and the drinking beer while watching the olympics thing cracked me up... I love the winter olympics due to the fact that it cools us in our heat drenched summer and there are epic stacks and crashes... glorious madness!!!

Giggles said...

Oh there are much more than a few missing you my dear!! This was a wonderful post and yes the Olympics took up time but they started at 4:30 AM on the West Coast but it was worth it....It just called for a nap or early evenings! As for your children you sure can pass up all those fun excursion! And so dear of you to help at school...I did the same when cupcake was young... I was also the popular mom with goodies.
Thanks for sharing your life so intimately!!

Hugs Giggles

ayaz said...

Best Business Investment Plan without any work, You can Invest as low as 1$ Dollar to 100$ Dollars and Get Daily profit of 10.00%, Guaranteed Payment with Minimum Earning is $1.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

Natasha said...

Ha...i am not the only one who hibernated for a bit it seems!! I can stop beating myself up a bit. Your photos I always love however you are fortunate there is an ocean separating us or you may have found a ninja cat burglar come to steal that most delicious bit of crochet you are working on.