Friday, February 28, 2014

in the paint


It has been a paintier-than-normal winter around here! It started with the living room. The olive drab we inherited with the house two years ago finally depressed us all so much that I got up one morning, went to Sears and came home with one can of primer and two cans of Orange Spice.


Then, on one of our snow days (I've lost count) I whisked the kids off to IKEA in their pajamas...



and stumbled on these fabulous (and cheap) paints in the kiddie section!



They are thicker and more opaque than watercolors -- closer to a gouache effect. Unapologetic color. I love them.



And they work wonderfully for a quick & simple wash, so I can move on to my documenting with ease. 



I've also been collaging it this winter (cut & paste is one of my favorite winter hole activities)


and, in what might be the biggest shocker in Artsyville history, I got on the air and did a 90 minute "Free to be Me" watercolor & collage art journaling demo for 21 Secrets Live. It was hosted by Lisa Wilson and we had a blast!


This picture has nothing to do with anything, other than I like the way the light hit the bottles and it was a novelty to see the sun.


I finished the scrappy light garland -- but only half of it lights up now, which looks horrid, so it will have to live life unlit.


Doesn't everyone need giant clothespins? I scavenged these from the bargain bin at Michaels.


I made my 5th grader an ID tag to give a shot of color to the charmless cello case.



A nice surprise in the winter wonderland -- our neighbors have a little red doghouse!



Yesterday I went browsing at the candy shop (Blick Art Materials) but had to pass on the watercolors, because my mission was to find & buy an enormous paper cutter...


to go along with my new wide format printer -- which means jumbo prints are coming to Artsyville soon!


The magic word magnets will be back as soon as I get them sorted into packs. I'm also letting go of a few of my handpainted magnet boards. (And as for the shop -- big changes are-a-coming in the next few weeks.)


That's it for this fine Friday morning in the ville & the last day of February. Thanks to everyone who stopped by The Artsyville Cafe this week!

 {joining Paint Party Friday once again after a full season in the winter hole.}

21 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

Every time I visit your blog I am overwhelmed by your creativity and the magic you wield with your brush. I especially loved the card about her shoes. AAaaaaaawwww...just delightful in every way. Fills my eyes.

MeOfCourse said...

Oh you have been busy! I love your colorful blog and all your latest events. Your living room colors are just awesome. You go girl! Thanks for sharing.:)

Giggles said...

Such a beautiful and colorful surprise seeing you here!! We are color friends if nothing else. I am holding myself back from coloring my bedroom that very same orange that I love so much. Over the years since the seventies I have rocked that color in a powder room, and spare room....now for the big master!! My kitchen family room is that same apple green as you have and my living room is the gypsy pink...much like your couch. Or is that red....either way I LOVE LOVE the affect. Whether we are east or West when we love color we do it with a bang!! Thanks for sharing all your happy rooms, your happy child and your happy paints and artwork!! I love you and your colorful life!!

Big hugs Giggles

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful work! I have Ikea paints, too, they are great!Valerie

annkrier said...

amy these are all lovely. Great colors ! My new basement catering kitchen is bright like this - citrine and hazel blue (sounds green but is not).

Netty said...

You have been so busy and very creative. Thank you for sharing.
Happy PPF, Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeanette said...

Thanks for the wonderful pops of color and delight!!! The paints look like such fun, will need to add to my list!
Have a lovely, warm and cozy weekend!!!

Tracey Fletcher King said...

it was a sad day when Phantom stopped going out in her pj's.... enjoy those moments before they become too col... mind you then they come full circle again and become gloriously quirky 17 year olds...great post ...xx

Jo said...

So much color! So much creativity and energy. Love going to your house. :)

Linda said...

What a super happy treat to come to your post oozing with happy color Aimee!!! Love your new orange wall, and I can imagine that no matter how bad the weather may be outside the inside will always have you all feeling good.

Annie Pazoo said...

Love love love!

bellefrogworks said...

You have accomplished a lot this snowy winter - I miss Ikea - the nearest one is 2.5 hours away. Oh well - I always spent too much there anyway!

iHanna said...

Love love your colorful life & photos!

Andria said...

I am so happy to see that you are back! What wonderful, colorful photos...thanks so much for sharing. (My little girl daily declares her love for her shoes and her great sorrow that she is wearing a hole in them and will soon need to have them replaced! Reminds me of your little girl.) The colors in your home are wonderful. I chose a similar orange for our hallway bathroom, and have never regretted it!

Annabelle said...

Oh my , what a colourful life you live , in colour and art. Your living room speaks warmth and comfort, a beautiful space to relax , read and dream.

The ikea paint colours look fabulous and I like the idea of their consistency characteristics. Will have to remember to pick up a set next time I'm there.Thanks for sharing.

Annabelle : )

Lynn Cohen said...

The color here is so exciting!!!
Thanks for brightening my day!

Bella Sinclair said...

Whoaaaaa mama! Well now, this is embarrassing. You've been awesomely creative and productive, and here my greatest accomplishment is that I kept my shirt clean after tucking into that chocolate cake.

No matter. You are dazzling! I feel like my eyes have been bedazzled. Can I say that? Is that weird? Your life is a whimsical kaleidoscope, and I LOVE it! Orange is my faaaavorite! I used to have an orange room, and I absolutely adore yours. BAM, all that color! I love your Get Up bird. And somewhere a giant is sad because he is unable to hang dry his clothes. Oh goodness, you are too much! I love looking at the world through your eyes!

Bella Sinclair said...

Oop. I thought I was done, but I have more to say.

That scrappy garland is da BOMB! Very cool room, that is. And poor little cupcake slippers. They will miss those feet as much as the feet will miss them. Awwwww.

Okay. Time to go talk to my tomatoes.

Love!

adnan khan said...

Lols Gag is the the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
lolsgag.com

Fran said...

What a wonderful collection of sharp and bright photos. I enjoyed browsing through them.

Natasha said...

Love the glimpses of your life but i would not have left the watercolour behind I have been wanting to try that brand.