Sunday, June 9, 2013

what we did to the wall

painty-hands

painty-brushes

painting-tiles

painty-wall

new-corkboard

Well, we painted cork tiles, of course!

My studio (living room) was in dire need of something on the wall, which has intimidated me since we moved in over a year ago. Our old house was tiny and cozy and I had no problem filling up the rooms and corners; it was a quirky structure that wanted and invited my stamp upon it. This one is a different story. It's lovely but serious. The walls are vast, the ceilings are high (11-ish feet), and it holds expectations that old stern Victorians have a way of imposing on their occupants. I'm not interested in fulfilling any of them, so I'm slowly creating my own, one room at a time.

The first task, as you have already seen, was moving the dining room table into the living room studio, which left the dining room bereft of anything except for four chairs and a kids' easel. The living room now has a messy work table in front of the fireplace where I'm sure guests used to be received and entertained; I've put metal paper sorters and art supplies where I think the house expected a grand piano, and now cork tiles have come to rescue the walls.

I bought the cork tiles (12"x 12) in 4 packs and used a combo of Liquitex & Michaels store brand acrylics. Nothing fancy. My girls had a great time with it and I was wise to keep them OUTDOORS for this one, as they consider anything paintable once brushes are in their hands.

Late as always to Paint Party Friday, and I'll be back surprisingly early tomorrow morning with coffee and a lively paragraph or two...

{p.s. a few have asked how I mounted the on the wall... I used a little bit of double stick tape to get the positioning of the tiles the way I wanted them, and then I picked up the hammer. one nail in each corner should do it!}

xo
Aimee
{Sign up here for the The Artsyville Doodle News!}

17 comments:

keepingthemistakes said...

Can I come live at your house, please? And I don't mean that in a creepy, stalkerish way at all. You just have so much bright, creative, painty fun! You inspire me!

Natasha said...

I love this idea. I really love how the different pieces look together. Such a visual representation of all of you.

Artsy Matilda said...

Wow! Totally love the tiles! I too live in a huge old house ... 1924 Antebellum. It does seem to scream serious as I post all colors under the sun and then some. It's been 7 years of delight here for us. But I am sure the original owners "are rolling in their graves" as there is not a white wall in the house! And we love it! I am so glad you are having a wonderful time with your decor and incorporating the talents of your children. Happy painting!
Cheri~

girlunwinding said...

Ahh that is totally fun, I love it!
Great color pallet and wonderful variation of design. I of course love the heart and that swirly twirly pattern too! I'm nosy and would love to see wide shots of the space of context. But, you know, whatever ;-)
~Dawn
btw, my giveaway (with your art tape) is ready to post tomorrow, so--Yay

Michael Nelson said...

Oh, wow! I was waiting to see what you would do with that wall, after seeing all the beautiful paper! I'm beyond inspired! I'm wondering if you will actually "pin" things to the cork, like a cork/bulletin board? I don't know if I could bear the thought of doing anything to that beautiful art! :-)

julie said...

I love this whole space!

Aranthe said...

What a wonderful idea and a two-fer to boot: Entertainment for the kids and practical, decorative art all rolled into one!

betsy said...

I love the colorful patchwork tiles! Looks like you all had so much fun creating these together.

Giggles said...

How smart is this!!! Excellent job, useful gorgeous art!!! Win/win I say!! Love it!!

Have a great week!

Hugs Giggles

ann @ studiohyde said...

I love this wall art and what a great idea using cork tiles.

denthe said...

this is such a great idea, all those yummy colours, and your girls will be able to see their artwork on the wall every day. Beautiful ...

alarmcat said...

this looks so cool. i may have to try this, too. great idea :)

Carolyne said...

Love, love, love it!

Andria said...

What a gorgeous work of art for your wall! It must be so special for your girls to see their work in such a prominent spot. We have a dining room wall that is empty, and my husband keeps encouraging me to "make something" for it. You've given me an idea here....

pauline said...

i love this!! and i love visiting here. Such vibrant colors and everything is so inspiring. Makes me wanna go buy cork tiles right now and paint them! Thank you Aimee! xox

Mary C. Nasser said...

What an amazing and inspiring idea!!
Love not only what you created, but also the wonderful photos of the process!!!
♥♥♥
Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art

Gracie O'Tripp said...

Spectacular colors and they combined to make an interesting wall piece.