Monday, June 10, 2013

the declaration of you

TDOY_bloglovintour_banner

uniquity

the declaration of you

Good morning! WAKE UP! {Insert coffee.} If this hasn't crossed your personal growth radar yet, attention! The Declaration of You is moving closer to the shelves every day and it is going to be a fantastic resource for those of you looking to blaze your own paths. It was written by two of my very favorite ladies: creative career coach Michelle Ward and artist-designer Jessica Swift. They were some of my first connections when I dipped my toes into the world of arty blogging, and it has been a delight to watch their dreams and careers take off over these past five years. Trust me, they'll be terrific companions on your journey.

Here's how Michelle & Jess describe the book: "Uncover your purpose in life! Through a series of creative, colorful exercises–questions to get the wheels turning and an encouraging kick in the pants–readers of The Declaration of You will get all the permission they’ve craved to step passionately into their lives, discover how they and their gifts are unique and uncover what they are meant to do! Each chapter begins with a Discovery (explaining what the reader can expect to achieve by the end of the chapter), followed by a series of list-making explorations that leads the reader to creating a Declaration for that chapter. “Make It” sections provide fun and crafty project ideas for applying what the reader is discovering in a tangible way, while ”Own It” sections offers inspiring interviews with successful creatives."

Each week leading up to the book release (July) and for a few weeks after, Michelle and Jess are discussing a different topic covered in the book, ranging from intentions to success to money to trust. This week it's all about "uniquity", their (wonderfully) invented word that tackles your uniqueness, your you-niqueness, your you-ness. What makes you you? What makes you different? They invite us to consider:

* What holds you back from flaunting your uniquity?
* How are you unique from your family, your co-workers, your best friend?
* How do you put your own unique stamp on your life?
* What’s the most unique thing about you?
* What’s your personal declaration around uniquity?

You are totally welcome (invited) (asked) (wanted) to share (unload) (vent) (brainstorm) your thoughts about any of these questions. I would have loved posting on any of the topics, but uniquity is especially a fun one for me, as it was the reason why I started this blog in the first place. I was trying to find my voice, my groove, my style after years in a corporate world where I felt so utterly replaceable that I left with very little sense of distinction or self-value. Getting back into my art and figuring out how to access those things that make my soul sing has been a process more satisfying than I could ever say. The word uniquity wasn't on my vocabulary list back then, but if it had been, I would have used it freely and in full color.

Go here to find out more about this fab book, go here to read all the guest posts and topics covered so far, and go here to attend the Facebook comment party. Before you leave, have some more coffee and please go see these painted cork tiles that I slaved over all weekend long. And come back tomorrow for Glue it Tuesday!

Oh and one more thing... Dawn from Girl Unwinding bought an extra roll of my Secret Garden washi tape so she could hold a giveaway for it -- pop over & say hi to drop your name in the hat! (and thank you Dawn -- that is truly kind of you to do.)

{all photos in this post © Michelle Ward and Jessica Swift}

4 comments:

Andria said...

I had not yet heard about this book, Aimee...thanks for telling us about it. I like that word, "uniquity." So fun to hear a word that isn't a word but ought to be! :-P

betsy said...

Aimee, I am actually working on this same topic thru a "Divine Contract" workshop. This is the Universe reinforcing that for me! Thanks for sharing and for your wonderful blog. I will look for the book, too!

Natasha said...

Your comment about where they were five years ago made me think about where I was five years ago. Miles away from here! It is hard to believe I was ever that person from five years ago, but I wouldn't be me without her.

Was your corporate world still filled with colour? Seeing your photos now, so filled with rainbows and vibrancy, it is hard to imagine you in another world.

Casey said...

I kind of heard of this book recently, but didn't look into it much. From what I can tell, I need this book! I have been doing so much soul searching and centering to find a purpose that is outside the corporate, cookie-cutter-ness of this world. I've been reading your blog periodically for a few months since I wanted to take one of your classes at the Ink Pad. Love what you post and how colorful your life seems! Thanks for the great content!