Friday, June 28, 2013

a fair crafty warning

Alert thy browser! A lot of crafty stuff happened this week, and I didn't have the energy to weed through all the pics. So I'm going to drag you through all of it, unless you want to back out now and if you do I will understand.

photo 2-11
It all started with thumb books: I have lots of paper scraps left over from trimming my package labels and got the urge to make tiny tiny teeny tiny books out of them -- barely an inch high and wide. Just big enough to hold one staple. I was obsessed and made a bunch. That was Saturday.

photo 3-10
By Sunday I had the thumb books out of my system & took my 10 year old to the train station. We stopped at the farmers market (it finally opened!) and said hello to the squash,

photo 1-5
then made a beeline for Brooklyn

photo 1-4
and the Renegade Craft Fair!

photo 4-5
It was hotter than the devil's breath,

photo 2-4
but with a view like this

photo 3-5
and chairs like these

photo 4-4
nothing was going to stop our crafty crusade.

photo 1-6
We painted flowerpots,

photo 5-4
chalked up t-shirts,

photo 4-3
watched silkscreeners in action,

photo 2-6
and spent so much time in the vintage section that we got sunburned.

photo 5-3
I nearly died over the vintage type!

photo 3-7
vintage ribbon!

photo 4-8
vintage balls!

photo 1-7
Then we wandered through the sidewalk markets of Williamsburg on the way back to the train

photo 3-6
(hi Mommy)

photo-406
sang the song,

photo 1-11
and returned to our little village in Jersey where I shippety-doo-dahed on Monday,

photo 1-8
frantically packed teacher goodie boxes on Tuesday,

photo 5-6
and delivered the goods in time for the last day of school on Wednesday.

photo 3-9
I came home; breathed; packed up my inks, stamps, papers, stamps & goodie bags (NOTE TO GLUE IT TUESDAY FOLKS: I FORGOT MY GLUE AND SCISSORS); and hopped the train back into Manhattan on Wednesday night;

photo 5-5
Greeted this NYPD flowerpot along the way;

photo 2-9
and taught my Inky Antics class to a group of fabulous, funny, and talented crafters at The Ink Pad in Greenwich Village. This has to be the coolest paper crafting store I've ever set foot in. Even standing in the middle of the store, it is still impossible to understand how they pack so much merchandise in a 300 square foot store -- and they do, beautifully! I was so grateful to have the opportunity to teach there -- and I'll be back in August!

photo 1-12On Thursday I worked on a new poster for my studio (the color is coming)

photo 2-12
passed this little house on the way home from the pool (I don't mind saying that I want it);

photo-404
and today I gouached it for Paint Party Friday and the last two weeks of Summer of Color (the combos were hot pink/orange and lime green/purple.) the words will fill the pages later, as I'm running low on words today;

photo 5-2
and so we're at the finish line! If you've made it to the end of this post, congrats -- and thank you! You're probably ready to sail away on a magic carpet,

photo 4-6
hop a citibike & ride away,

photo 1-9
or have a beer. (I'm going to!)

Happy weekend!

Aimee

(linking to Paint Party Friday and Summer of Color).

44 comments:

Molly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Molly said...

I had a great time with these pics. It was my llunch break and it was a delight! I can't wait to see your "Washi Tape Spoken here" sign when it's done. Wish I could go to those craft fairs! Jealous!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Awww, I've loved reading and seeing the pictures in this post. I agree, that painted house is cute.

Kimberly Hogan said...

What a great post. All the pictures were yummy. Bright and colorful. Lucky teachers who get your bright colorful neatly packed boxes. I've read other posts about classes at that store in Greenich Village. Have you ever run into Julie Fei-Fan Balzer there? I believe she also hosts classes there. (don't quote me on that though) I love popping onto your site. It always invokes a smile with all the fun colors. Have a great weekend.

Kim
SOC #68

Lisa Isabella Russo said...

Wow you've been busy! Very pretty photographs, it looks like you had a wonderful time. The little house is so cute!

iHanna said...

Wow, I love every single photo so much! And I didnt know you teach too, you are one busy woman! :-)

Happy weekend!

Gloria in CA said...

Wow, what a post!! Very colorful and so creative. I love your blog, it's always vibrating with electrical currents. Great job, thank you for the vibes. Take care.

Fallingladies said...

So very cool, so much to see!!! I got all the way through and glad i was to see it all!

Stampmaiden said...

Whew! Thanks for the colorful trip and for showing me what vintage balls look like! OK, am I going to be banned?! Had so much fun at the Renegade Fair when it was out here in L.A. and can't wait to go back!

sharon said...

Had a great time with these pictures, makes me long for summer (Im down under) that little house is sure cute, I think I want it. Rather a ong way to commute.

Happy Mama (Lisa Gonzalez) said...

What a week! Way to go, sister. Love the pics full of fun and color.

Cheers to you! I'm clinking my blueberry beer :)

cactus petunia said...

Wowie Zowie, Lady!
What a colorful, creative, artsy week you've had.
Much better than mine, so thanks for the technicolor inspiration!

alarmcat said...

what a busy week you had!!! i loved every single photo!!

Andria said...

Ah, where to begin...love the washi print...perfect! The art fair looks like such fun. And it would be a total delight to attend one of your NY classes...(sigh) maybe someday!

bellefrogworks said...

Such a fantastic post - wonderful craft fair (I would have given up in the heat though). Great photos - the teachers must have been thrilled to get such lovely gifts. A busy week indeed. HPPF

Kristin Van Valkenburgh said...

Xo

Patricia/NYC said...

Living in Manhattan, how did I miss that craft fair?!? Sigh...oh well, I did live vicariously through your photos!! Delightful post & yes, I made it to the end! Those thumb books are so cute!! :)

angelica jackson said...

What a colorful post! I love it! I would love to find such an amazing arts and craft fair/flea market...I must get out more!
I enjoy your happy artwork so much-I will be back :).

Paula Jennings said...

what a wonderful post. Love that craft fair you went to. So much fun!

Hollace said...

Your pix are so colorful and cheery. I like what you see!

Michellem said...

Two things on my bucket list - Renegade Craft Fair and a visit to The Ink Pad - so jealous that you did both within days of each other!! Great post!!

Giggles said...

I NEVER get enough of you and your creative life!! Thanks for sharing a bit of your world....LOVE IT!! Loads of inspiration in all those photos...looks like a fun time was had by all!! Love those organized little teachers packages too!!

Hugs Giggles

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Worldwind tour of the most fantastic kind....Love those chairs, love your thumb books, love that type, swoon, and the ink pad, so swell, I have friends who teach there and now I can visualize it in my head. Thanks. xox

Mary Walker said...

Lots of input like an explosion of color in the world all around you!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

LOVE seeing things through your iphone :)

rachel awes said...

i LOVE your tours.
the aimee kind are the BEST.
my eyes bugged out at the end w/those carpets. my insides have seriously been yearning for a magic carpet ride for a couple years now. i really am serious, aimee! how can i yearn for something like this so strongly?! but i do!
you rock at this livin' your life thing. xoxoooo

sugar Creek said...

Wow now that looked like I fun time and yea, I would live in that house too lol!

Faye said...

I enjoyed your photos and seeing the teachers' gifts. The vintage area of the fair was really interesting.

Monique said...

I loved loved loved reading your post and watching all the photo's. I too would want that little house with the lovely garden...
xx

Shahrul Niza said...

Ohh, Aimee :). Thank you for taking me on this walk!!. Gorgeous day, hot but so many fun things to do :). LOVE the flea market things, I thought I died too, LOL. Even without words, your colorful papers are already so pretty!. TFS!

Linda said...

oh what sheer fun going on an outing with you Aimee!! I'd have died over those vintage ribbons and letter types! Looks like one fab time and creative frenzy too! One day I must get back into the city and make a point to check out that shop.

Valerie said...

Nice post, very colorful :-)

Aranthe said...

Oh, wow—after viewing all the wonderful photos above, I feel as if I just went on a weekend outing. Thank you for sharing your trip!

Also: This is the first time I've ever seen round squash and zucchini. Is that a common variety in your area?

Natasha said...

I honestly loved every single photo, so I don't want to attempt to comment on everything for fear I accidently leave something out. Oh my gosh, the vintage section, and the type. All of it. The gorgeous cottage that emanates love, I am in love. Also I badly want a renegade craft fair to come here!!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Awesome photos! I'm drinking rum and coke while enjoying blog hopping.
Rinda

Sandy said...

I love all of your pictures!
Wonderfully happy!!
Sandy

www.dorissdaughter.com said...

Fabulous post. I have really enjoyed looking at all your photos. They are so colourful and vibrant. The craft fair looked wonderful and the view is amazing. What a great place to visit and get inspiration from:) Hope you enjoyed your cold beer!

Ilona Heimböckel said...

Wow there is something going on at your palce of all places! :-)

Wonderful strolling along with you. I would like such a teacher's treat! :D

Happy PPF
Ilona xx

Textile Recycler said...

Well Miss Amelah..."There's a party tonight, you're in a red light zone. If you don't want a ticket you better move on .."
<:-)

Sharon Fritchman said...

What a wonderful time! i loved seeing all of yoru wonderful photos!

tangledpen said...

Nooooo, don't show vintage type again!!! ...I died with you... ;)
I am a huge 'type and wooden stamp of almost any kind' person. Oh I would have been devastated to see all these knowing I couldn't by them all.

Anyway - I hope you got some goodies hoe with you :)
Cheers!
Jana (cu tomorrow, when it' GIT :))

Lorinda @ Everyday Endeavours said...

you take my breath away with all of your colourful, artsy goodness! i want to play too! i still can't believe you didn't go crazy with all of those vintage goodies. you're a much stronger woman than I. would LOVE to attend your class in that fabulous shop!! the cross-continent commute would be a bit much though... have a fabulous, colourful week!! xx

Jo said...

Great post, as always, Aimee.

betsy said...

Wow, I love all the crafty pics. Thanks for sharing.