Tuesday, February 12, 2013

List it Tuesday 2/12: Unintended Use

unintended-use-artsyville

Sorry for the List it Tuesday delay! I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire! I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! (My stock line of excuses from one of my favorite movies -- anyone know it?)

This week's suggested topic: things you use, but not for their intended purpose. Some of mine make sense and others require some explanation.

1. Junk drawer -- we've been there already...
2. Erasers as stamps -- dollar store & x-acto knife!
3. Pickle jars as supply storage -- my family has finally put a halt to this. No more pickles.
4. Musical instruments as burglar alarm -- when our (everyone's) power went out during Sandy, so did our security system. I put jingle bells, maracas, tambourines, shakers, and drums in front of all the doors to cause an enormous racket and to give us enough time to call the cops if some looter came along.
5. Paper bags -- my favorite surface -- the plebeian, humble, toothy, thick, hearty kraft paper that is so perfect for taking paint.
6. Fly swatter as stencil -- this I haven't done yet, but I plan to. We've never used it (I'm not quick enough to catch a fly) and it has a beautiful, delicate, lacy patterned surface that has no business killing flies anyway.
7. Bathtub as laundry basket -- just as the Reverend Mother in the Sound of Music knew that Maria would never be a nun, I knew from the minute we moved in that our tub would never be a tub. Instead it is a gorgeous clawfoot laundry basket.
8. Heavy books -- precisely what I used to smash this drawing flat after I painted it. I love using Bristol paper for lettering, but it does not care for watercolor, and buckles terribly. I put it under 10 heavy books and then sat on the stack to finish the job.
9. Pencils and paintbrush (and crochet hooks) as hair sticks -- doesn't everyone?
10. Car trunk as paint studio -- our car still has paint all over the bumper after our art escapade with DJ.

Can't wait to see everyone's lists! The fly swatter got my mind buzzing with stencil ideas, so for next week I'll suggest making a list of things around your house/office/environment that you could use for a stencil. Have fun and go big! If we get enough ideas, I'll put together a master list as a reference tool for everyone. Have a great week!


16 comments:

Textile Recycler said...

Haha.. I was so proud of myself for being ready to jump in this morning and there was no link. I had to look at the calendar. I thought I had the wrong day!LOL.. with that said.. I think we live in the same house! Good one Aimee...

Mary Walker Designs said...

Ahh yes pencils in hair done that a time or three, also love the idea of fly swatter stencil.

Aranthe said...

I'm a paper bag lover, too! Kraft paper is wonderful.

BTW, thanks for the tip about the fly swatter. Now if I can only come up with a really artistic use for cardboard toilet paper cores...

storybeader said...

We have two bells hanging over the front door to tell us when someone walks in. Excited to learn about additional stencils. {:-D

Deborah Weber said...

LOL - great list! I don't think it's very sporting of your family though to nix the continued pickle consumption. Those wide-mouth jars are great containers.

lori vliegen said...

long live our collection of pickle jars! love your lovely list! xox

Gallery Juana said...

looters are scary. great idea with the musical instruments. I hung a wind chime to our front door.

brilliant idea to use the fly swatter as a stencil.

Marcia (123 blog) said...

ooh, I could do this... but for organising :)

I very rarely buy an organising product.

Thanks for the inspiration - I'll go around my house this afternoon with my camera :)

denthe said...

Haha, love this list. That burglar alarm sounds very familiar, I used to do that with wind chimes ;-)Have to remember the tip about the fly swatter...

Em said...

Love the musical instruments as burglar alarm! Wonderful list!

Tracey Fletcher King said...

great list and love the illustration for it this week... going to go on the hunt for stencil ideas so I can take part next week... great topics lately...xx

Andria said...

Great art piece and great ideas for alternative uses! :-)

NatashaMay said...

I always love how you illustrate your lists. :) Awesome!

Karyna @ Paper Squid said...

Haha, I do the same thing with the jars, but instead of pickle jars it's almond butter jars. I was even thinking after cleaning them out, to paint them with glass paint and use as cups too.

By the way, love the stencil idea. Think I will join you in a list!

:) – Karyna

Pattylg67 said...

How about a shower as a coat closet?!

Tricia said...

I'm just starting to get into hand-lettering- your work is inspiring!