Tuesday, January 15, 2013

List it Tuesday 1/15: Culinary Traditions

candy bars

Culinary traditions! I love reading about the evolution of the foodie ways of others. I come from a line of non-cooks, so my contributions are limited.

1. When I had to submit a family recipe for my 4th grade Girl Scout Cookbook, my mother and I went to the Betty Crocker Cookbook and chose at random the Loaf Pound Cake.

2. Coffee. This started in Spain when I was 23. Everyone was drinking coffee, so I did too, and gave it a punch of mocha by mixing Cola Cao (kind of like Ovaltine) with it.

3. My favorite cookbook is The Book of Jewish Food by Claudia Roden. It's wonderful not only for the recipes (we've made the challah so many times the page is hardly legible) but also because it is a history book -- full of anecdotes, research and tidbits about how regional cultures shape what people eat.

4. My Aunt Patty's sugar cookies were the best. She would send tins of them every year. They were puffy and only lightly sweetened, almost like smooth scones. She happily handed out the recipe, but no one could ever make them like she did, so I think she kept some ingredients to herself.

5. Neither of my grandmothers thought much of the kitchen. Mom's mom made only three things (all fabulous): cheeseburgers, toast and fudge, maybe once a year, when the whim hit her. I still haven't seen Dad's Mom cook, but we have a good track record of dining out together.

6. Nutella is a staple item around here, as are hearty soups in the winter.

7. When meal planning fails us, we toss all the leftovers in the fridge on top of tortilla chips, turn it up to 350 and have Nacho Night.

8. Something yummy is wafting from the kitchen (thankfully my husband is a great cook), so I'm signing off.

Suggested topic for next week: one quick & easy design change you could make in each room of your house/condo/apt (e.g. moving a piece of furniture, switching rugs, shoving stacks of paper out of sight) to give it a visual lift. Extra credit if you actually do it.

12 comments:

Lynn Fisher said...

Like you, I don't think I inherited the cooking gene...or much of one. I am just starting to make healthy meals. My Dad was the cook when we were kids...and my brother is an awesome cook. My Mom and I, if left to our own devices, would have merely foraged : )

Em said...

Oooh, thank you for the cookbook recommendation. Now I want!

I come from a line of non-cooks as well, as you'll see from my post. :)

Happy List It Tuesday!

Beansieleigh said...

Great post, and I decided to join in this time around... My mother didn't teach me much in the way of cooking, so I had to learn on my own, pretty much. Thank God for home-ec class back in highschool! The rest of what knowledge I possess comes from good ol' experience! Trial and error, ever since my baby girl was born!... Look forward to participating again, and to meeting everyone else here! ~tina

Lynn Fisher said...

...and the sugar cookies sound so good I am sniffing around the office for something I can call similar.

Marcia (123 blog) said...

I LOVE YOUR LIST>

My grandmother was a great cook - I like to eat :) but never really bothered much til she died. And now when I cook or bake it's like I'm close to her..... weird but true.

We used to phone each other and first things were, "so what are you having for supper?" and so on!

I'm more of a cook than a baker because I really can't follow directions at all :)

I really must try to do next week's one - it will serve as a good to-do list for the year....

Gallery Juana said...

I really enjoyed this topic and reading everyone's take on it.

I'm going to have to keep that leftover "toss" recipe in mind!

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness this is so much fun, I want to take part. This shall be my wee fun task for tomorrow - thanks for doing 'list it tuesday' again.

NatashaMay said...

I love your list. :) So great to see how people get different foods on their lists. :) I forgot tea on mine. :)

Nicole : Three By Sea said...

I'm not much on original recipes, but I'm pretty good at following recipes. My favorite "cookbook" is my binder of recipes I've cut out of Real Simple, Food & Wine, Coastal Living, etc. over the years.

Bella Sinclair said...

Ooooh, I love me some Abba Zabas! I just made a lovely challah filled with figs. I thought of you. :) Yum!

Happy new year to you and yours, my dear Aimee. Hope it's filled with good fortune and joy and adventure. xoxo

anika said...

Thanks for starting List it Tuesday! I really had a lot of fun with it!

Mary Walker Designs said...

Dining out together is more fun anyway