Saturday, October 6, 2012

Your Spot

find-your-spot3blog

This is a little piece whose time has finally arrived. I wrote the first half of it in a flash, when I was living in Lawrence, but could not bring the thing to closure. Nothing worked; I didn't know where I was going with it; didn't know what it should say. This was, of course, because I was settled and content there, so I really wasn't searching for anything -- or needing to find validation in where I was. Nothing that a major relocation plus one year of complete upheaval couldn't fix! I'm plenty lost now. The song is now complete and I have a new print for the first time in months.

Speaking of displaced, I have solved the postal mystery of the year! I shipped an order to Canada two months ago and it went MIA until yesterday, when the customer received the envelope with bold letters on the front: "MIS-SENT TO CAYMAN ISLANDS." Apparently the package had its own ideas where its spot was in the world. When I went to the PO this afternoon to drop off a few orders, I brought our postal clerk up to date on my envelope's Caribbean vacation and then she told me her favorite mail mishap of all time: when someone in Greece mailed a package to someone else in Greece, and it ended up in New Jersey.

26 comments:

Michele said...

I just love this! And it's done me goooood reading it! ♥

Ann said...

Amazing and powerful! Glad you were able to finish it! It had to be said. @Rymina :)

Maria Ontiveros said...

Wonderful sentiment, and I love the cascading circles
Rinda

Bella Sinclair said...

Spot on!

Yay for artsyville! I've missed it here. It feels like home. :)

Mary C. Nasser said...

What an absolutely amazing artwork!
Love the complementary color scheme of blues and oranges...it just makes the words pop!
♥♥♥
Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art

Lisa Isabella Russo said...

Your words drew me in, they're so right on target! It's hard to know where to be, but the idea of being right were you are, well, very nice! The whimsical presentation was engaging as well.

rachel awes said...

LOVE your juicy trueness
in every word + yummy spots
all over the page of your
print + life. xoxox

soulbrush said...

I agree- this is where we are now- no use looking back and going too far forward in one's head doesn't help either. Ha ha at least the parcel was somewhere- unlike mine that disappeared into thin air.

Marji {RainCityGirl} said...

Great! It is interesting isn't it how some ideas come in a flash - yet aren't complete. They need a little mulling over. Beautiful words. Well done. Happy PPF

Anne Manda said...

Really awesome! HPPF!

Giggles said...

Your words are always so profound, but this one is very powerful!! It took time to find the perfection, love the colors you chose too!! Excellent piece of work.

Hugs Giggles

Andria said...

This whole piece is great, but I LOVE those first few lines.

Glad your package finally made it...how frustrating!

Lynn Cohen said...

Gotta love the us postal service!
Love you lettering style!

lorik said...

Great words and beautiful shapes and colours. Would look great on Mandarin Orange Monday:)

Kokopelli said...

One of my packages is MIA, too. So I wonder where it found its spot in this world. I'm very happy with the spot I am at the moment. Love your piece of art. Happy PPF!

~runningwave~ said...

Aimee, you are "spot on" (sorry, couldn't resist the pun). Lately my life has lead me to think a good deal about being in the "now" where I am and who I am with.
Two truths I've found:

There are so many potential and very real distractions in the busy hum of life.

If you want to know who you are, you also need to know where you are.

lori vliegen said...

i love, love, love your new doodly spot, artsy girl!!
(and brilliantly lettered, too!) xox

The Dreaming Bear said...

Love it, ordered it. Perfect for a dear friend of mine on her own journey. xoxo

Lotte said...

When I need cool words and handwriting...I go here ;)
Hey girl :) hihi

la ninja said...

bear hug. gracias, I needed that one today :)

aimee said...

thank you everyone for such wonderful words and feedback! means the world -- thank you! xo

Ritu Dua said...

This is pure enchantment :)

Fil Campbell said...

This is just lovely Aimee.. Thank you:)

Em said...

This is so wonderful and perfect for where I am right this minute! (In a holding pattern while prepping to make a big move.) Love this.

Lisa M Griffin said...

How colorful, positive and amazing! Love... and great PO story too!

Sinderella Studio Designs said...

love this - do you have it in postcard size?
cheers, dana