Sunday, February 19, 2012

measuring up and belly laughing

IMG_4302

1) When I feel like I'm not measuring up to the world around me, this little guy offers joy and reassurance. He tells me to wear my color with pride. That my path can take the long, winding road. That he'll be there if I do need to take the fast, direct, accurate route. That with a push of the button in the middle, he'll take the measuring stick away entirely, no questions asked.

2) There were exactly two juice boxes left for lunches on Friday. I'm usually one short of everything when I'm packing lunches, especially when I'm in a rush. It was a good omen.

3) I doodled five letters for what will be an 8 foot banner when I'm finished. Peep here. (I put a lot of works and creations in progress over on my Facebook page if you want to hang out with me there too!)

4) I'm soaking up the new Design*Sponge book. I rarely buy home decor books, but something told me to get this one and it is a prize winner. I spent a couple of heart-thumping nights this week making lists of ideas and spinoff ideas.

5) I cleaned out the car for the first time since leaving Kansas. It was bad, so bad I can't even tell you. It's remarkable how reclaiming one small space like that emboldens me. Right now I feel like the most powerful woman in New Jersey driving around in my clean car. This will change as soon as someone drops a Cheerio or M&M in it.

6) Karen opened her beautiful home again yesterday to Lisa, Jen, Beth and me for a crafty afternoon. It is restorative to be around friends who make me feel at home here. Thank you online world for connecting us all.

7) Last night I took my regular walk up the hill to my Distant Perch, which rises just above the treeline and opens up to a beautiful view of New York City. Up above I saw stars and planes; down below I saw the trains; in the distance I saw the beautiful skyline through the fog and rains. I didn't mean for that to all rhyme. It just did.

8) My kids belly laughed themselves to sleep last night. My older one has a giggle that sounds like a high powered waterfall; my younger one has a deep, hearty, healthy cackle.

{That's the bliss list this week!}

27 comments:

aimee said...

p.s. i finally removed that nasty word verification thing from the commenting section -- it was on my to do list for months. thank you marcia for reminding me to do it! now spammers, please stay away.

inkstitch said...

Love the Bliss Lists. I drive the worlds biggest van and it needs a cleaning ever so badly... Can't wait to see that finished banner! Hurray for awesome projects that don't involve vacuuming cheerios!

maureen said...

I found you through Joanne Sharpe's online class. Your work is delightful to look at and your musings fun to read. Thank you for sharing you with the online world!
(PS I'm near by- on Long Island!)

Beth said...

Yesterday - was such a joy-filled day! I loved every minute and so did my sweet one. it's was grand to be across from you getting creative

belly laughs are great and today, while I'm gathering all sorted papers for the taxman...I need some good belly laughter...

thanks for the ps :)

hugs

Marcia (123 blog) said...

thank you for not having WV on. It's doing my head in!

Love your bliss list and man, the power of a clean car is amazingly energising.

Also today I had a one hour nap and I'm on FIRE - cooking, cleaning, organising. I think I need afternoon naps too!

Christie said...

My youngest daughter's belly laugh has not changed, not even a little bit, since she was a baby. It always brings me back to the very best of those early days.

Love how you find the best in your everyday. Long live the bliss list!

amy said...

Ooh, love the peek of those doodled letters! That's what I'm planning on doing with those watercolored ATCs, use them as the base for a doodled alphabet deck for my 3yo.

We still haven't vacuumed out all the sand out of the car from last summer...I suppose if we don't do it soon it won't make any sense to bother!

Lorinda said...

Such a great list. So much fun and empowerment--love it!

Andria said...

I love that comment about the measuring tape being taken away, no questions asked...we all need someone who is willing to take it away once in a while for us! Your doodled letters are looking great (as always!). Love reading about your kids' belly laugh...when my younger daughter gets going, she sounds like a squeaky toy, and it just cracks me up!

Bella Sinclair said...

Oh my goodness. Thank heaven for little girls, right? Sometime my two will decide to share the same bed, just because, and I can hear them giggling their heads off. Most of the time, I don't even have the heart to tell them to be quiet and go to sleep. I just enjoy hearing them enjoy each other.

Aaah, blissssss.

Your banner is looking epic!

Pattyskypants said...

I remember a hilltop spot like that! A good place for smooching. xxoo

Liv @ Choosing Beauty said...

Oh! This is so full of goodness!! I love it. And love that you're continuing to follow/find/share your bliss. xo

Cindy said...

oh wow, i thought you were pushing to finish that banner last weekend. only three to go, which is probably less by now.

Lynn Fisher said...

Love the lists! I'll be back to see the banner!

Pointy Pix said...

I just love your posts. You have such a lovely way of expressing things and making the most simple things ring true - oh how I also need to clean my car out!

I've nominated you for a versatile blogger award - you can see the blurb on my latest post.

Karen D said...

It was so great hanging with you all.. you are always welcome.

love belly laughs!

x
Karen

PS - of course I ran out Sunday and bought that design book, it's a winner.

cath c said...

love.

Art by Wiley said...

What a beautifully written post. And I just about let out a yelp when I clicked onto this post and saw the picture because I have the same tape-measure! I just love it and often carry it in my bag for just-in-case measurements...!! This is a beautiful blog you have here and can't wait to return. x

Kelly Warren said...

I love these bliss lists. glad you are enjoying your new surroundings!

Marcie said...

Every time I come here - I'm uplifted and inspired. Love the lettering and beginnings of your banner. What a wonderful project!

Koosje Koene said...

I love the bliss list. Imam so going to make a weekly list like this too!

gm glimmerglass said...

Coolio banner. In your spare time feel free to create some doodle clothes pins so I can hang up a string of these with the laundry.

Glad to see you landed safely in NJ.

Jennifer said...

It was so wonderful to see you. I feel so blessed that our paths have crossed.

Janet said...

Hi Aimee - I was directed to your blog by Joanne Sharpe. Visiting you was an assignment for her online class. If only all school assignments were as pleasant as this one! What a lovely place you have created here. Thank you for sharing your talents. I will be coming back often.

Pat said...

I get such joy out of reading about your fun and frustrating experiences. It makes me realize how linked we humans are. It may be a big world, but really, we are all so close in many ways. You inspire me!

yh said...

sandales Christian Louboutin
Christian Louboutin pas cher
tee-shirts louis vuitton
louis vuitton pas cher
juicy couture tasche
louis vuitton tasche>
versace tasche
chloe tasche
gucci tasche
tee shirts polo
polo bolsas
tee shirts
ceinture en cuir
jeans
chaussures nike
chaussures puma
sac fendi
sac guess
sandales Christian Louboutin
Christian Louboutin pas cher
porte cles chanel
bracelet louis vuitton
chloe tasche
ed hardy bolsas
sac chloe
sac dior

lin741852 said...

bottes burberry femme
bottes chanel
bottes chanel femme
bottes dior femme
bottes dolce gabbana femme
bottes ed hardy femme
bottes fendi femme
bottes gucci 2012
bottes gucci femme
bottes louis vuitton femme
bottes versace femme