Tuesday, August 9, 2011

in the drawing room: daisy janie

ITDR-daisy-janie--1

it's tuesday and the drawing room is open! please come in, grab a gluten free mint chocolate chip cookie and take a stand. no sitting today, for we are with the ever-moving, constantly exploring jan of daisy janie. she's a self-taught, self-made surface pattern and textile designer who derives her inspiration from within, from nature, from details of unexpected objects, from a passion for organic fabrics -- all things that have led her to be a pioneer in the quilting industry.

here's my doodled-up crazy quilt of jan's fun facts + a few of my observations about her inner workings, and to this i'd like to add some of the qualities i admire so much about her. jan is tenacious: if something's not working, she'll keep plugging away at it until it does. she's a tinkerer: if a piece of clothing doesn't fit quite right, she'll fiddle around with it until she's satisfied. she's honest: if she makes a blooper, she'll talk about what she's learned from it, then move on. she's firmly in the present: no dwelling in shoulds and coulds; she's a doer. and she is unfailingly supportive of her friends in the creative community. she is a joy to know.

find out more about jan and her work/life/miscellany on her blog, twitter, and facebook.

thanks for stopping by the drawing room this week -- i'm already doodling up next week's guest!

18 comments:

painted fish studio said...

she looks awesome on paper!

~Valentina~ said...

So cool! I *LOVE* her work :)

Chel said...

how wonderful! I love the whole process of this- the gathering of information, then the expression of that information in a beautiful and fun way. It makes me mind start whirring with the possibilities, especially since most of the time when I sit down to do something creative, I have no idea what to do!

I'm running over to her site now...

Jan | Daisy Janie said...

Thank you for making my bright & happy little life equally so in your artwork! I giggled when I read painted fish studio's comment about 'looking awesome on paper' - we have a saying in our gym when a workout flattens people to near paralysis: it looked good on paper. Can't wait to see the rest of your drawing room doodles (and everything in between) xo Jan

Sandra said...

Love the doodle bio ;-)
I'm heading over to her blog right now - thanks for the kind words on my blog. I'm hooked on your art and your sharing heart!

Annie Pazoo said...

Girl, you had me at gluten-free <3. I love Jan's work and am so happy to see your doodlegram!

L'Atelier said...

another fab drawing room doodle! cant wait to see the next one!

Marcie said...

I just love how you create these little vignettes. Thank-you for the weekly inspiration!!!

lori vliegen said...

fabulous drawing room doodle! i'm headin' over to see daisy janie's side of cyberspace.....and i hope i run into that dog with 3-brain-cells......xoxo

freebird said...

She sounds like a fun, upbeat person! Her husband can make her laugh all day? Then he is special too.

beka*b said...

Totally loving these doodled interview/profiles :) Thanks for sharing this fun and creative personality with us :)

Carrie said...

God grief - I am in love with this way of getting to know someone. You are so fab x

Marcia (123 blog) said...

LOVE your doodle :) and getting to know Jan.

rachel awes said...

i love
how you
love
through
your
doodily
doos.
this is
AWESOME.
xox

T said...

I just love love love your style...
Your colors and your process is so creative and happy! Thanks for sharing such wonderful eye candy! I'm loving it!

T

Cindy said...

i love her textiles and your doodle. they go hand in hand!

Natasha said...

She POPS off the page like a daisy...what a vibrant character, a fascinating woman who continues to blossom...loving her, this doodle, you and this whole fabulous series

stephanie levy said...

perfect Aimee ;) I don't know how you do it all - but you do!