Tuesday, August 30, 2011

everywhere but the drawing room

all-directions

Documentation of the madness has commenced. Today is drawing room day, yet I have been everywhere but the drawing room. So our visit will have to wait, for I've been doing everything but doodling.

Here's what I DID do today.

I tore through the alley this morning with two panting children behind me and 5 minutes to arrive by the bell (and was clearly not going to make it) when our marvelous neighbors magically appeared from their garage, brandishing two car seats and whisking us all away to school before I knew what happened. (Thank you, good neighbors.)

Dialed Sears to track down an obscure refrigerator part but called Miracle Ear instead.

A friend called me to tell me she was late to meet me for lunch, which was a nice surprise because I didn't know I was going anywhere for lunch. Apparently I had wholeheartedly agreed to this last week but have no memory of it. Needless to say I was delighted. She picked me up and fed me a margarita before tossing me back into the fray.

Called more people. E-mailed more people. Printed stuff. Threw stuff out.

Faced the mystery of the dead garage door remote. It has been plaguing me for months and I've been just manually closing it so I didn't have to deal with the fix. There was no way to open it that I could see and I was afraid I'd annihilate it. So I called a local company and begged for help. They helped me.

Cleaned. Muttered and decluttered. Called more people. More people called me.

Zapped more kiddie graffiti with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, which is an absolute genius of a little device. Like Photoshop for walls.

Weeded through stacks of stuff. They are deceiving. One little pile can take days.

At one point ten tasks entered my mind and I went to do them all but only managed to pivot in a large circle. That's pretty much where I am now.

Back Thursday-ish with our drawing room guest. She's awesomesauce, if that gives you a clue who it is, and let me tell you, she is a show fully worth the wait!

17 comments:

Cindy said...

the big change is all amazeballs (a hint i think i figured out who your next guest will be). you will get it all done and shine, which is my word verification so it's official! hang in there & pace yourself.

Jen Niles said...

Wow! This ("At one point ten tasks entered my mind and I went to do them all but only managed to pivot in a large circle. That's pretty much where I am now. ") is ME. Only every day. LOL! Thanks for that funny and whirlwind tour.

Beth Niquette said...

Aimeee--I totally enjoyed this piece. You are such a great writer--I laughed through the entire thing. And then laughed some more. I love the way you see your world, my Friend! lol

kristen said...

Oooh i bet i know who it is! But i wont tell... Best of luck with decluttering and thank God for Mr. Clean!

painted fish studio said...

whew! i'm tired now.

Giggles said...

Thanks for fitting us in!!! You make my life tame....thank-you!! Looks like a day well spent!!

Hugs Giggles

Christine E-E said...

Wow!! my 9 hour day at work sounds easier than your day!
I'm so glad you decided to continue posting throughout your move - as crazy as it might be - your blogger friends might be just the distraction you need... ha! the power of technology!

bohemiannie! art said...

Yep - I remember those days. Thank GOD for growing older!!!

Chel said...

I read this and felt completely overwhelmed and then completely in awe of you. You are a very brave woman! Oh, and the pivot thing? That's me every day. When I start doing that, I throw on my suit and go "pivot" in the pool. It's my way of avoiding the ten tasks I'm pivoting from!

Sue said...

Hahahahah! Photoshop for walls! Exactly!!!

freebird said...

I think you need another margarita! Some days are not so good and neither are some weeks but then it all smooths out again and we take a deep breath and realize we made it through yet again. Hang in there.

S.E.Minegar said...

you are hilarious.

are you interviewing the character April from Parks and Rec?....the "awesomesauce" clue...haha.

:)

AG Ambroult said...

that's some day you had there. I love that your neighborhood appeared. I love that you had a lunch date you didn't even know about. I wish you a few less days like that but if they never ceased, it wouldn't be so bad, because there were margaritas involved.

Marcie said...

Love how you describe your whirlwind life!!! Hope you have a rest-full weekend!!

LisaInCT said...

Wow... you're life is sounding a bit like mine. I've just moved out of one place in CT, to move into another, while husband and I look for our future home. I've been decluttering and packing my old apt., while moving into my husband's house which will need to be decluttered and packed because we plan to sell it to buy OUR house. LOL... you following? I so know what you are going through and I feel for you!

Happy to hear you are headed to the East Coast... perhaps to CT?

aimee said...

thanks everyone! i finished the drawing room feature but i'm going to publish it on tuesday -- sorry for the delay. gotta exercise a bit of flexibility these days.

Bella Sinclair said...

HAHAHAHAHA! I loved reading about your day. I can relate to the pivoting in circles bit.