Wednesday, July 6, 2011

i've found my marbles

marbles-big-ones

moon-marble

marble-bin

marbles-treasure-chest

It's already six weeks into summer here so I thought I'd best get moving on my mini road trip plans around the Kansas countryside. I love passing through tiny towns, driving on rinky dink bumpity roads, making up stories and songs about the abandoned houses and bits of civilization I see, wondering what I'll find next. Eastern Kansas took me by surprise when we first moved here because I expected it to be flatter than a pancake, but it's not. It's hilly, rolly, full of crags and dips and lush greens. Just perfect for a country drive.

Our first stop on the mini road trip tour: the Moon Marble Company in Bonner Springs. Who knew I'd find all of my marbles only 20 miles east of home! It's a darling little place packed from floor to ceiling with marbles big and small of every color, as well as lots of marble games throughout the store to keep the kids from ever wanting to leave. The open stock is machine made -- so they're reasonably priced -- and the pricier artisan-made pieces are absolutely stunning. They offer marble making demonstrations throughout the day so you can watch in amazement as the glass shards fly and blaze and fuse into circular magic. My 5 year old chose to disrupt the demo (despite the warning sign that they charge $5 for whining) so I (quite annoyed) departed early with my little offender to spare the rest of the audience. The well-behaving big girl got to choose 9 beautiful pieces for her own before we left, but the younger one, it goes without saying, lost her marbles.

I took two wrong turns on the way out of town and ended up wedged in between a couple of farms before winding my way back to the state highway, through the corn and back to Lawrence. Mini road trip #1 complete, and a hard lesson learned for the small child. My gas tank was on E, so it was almost a hard lesson for the mother, too.

Next on the list? I'm thinking historic Leavenworth -- also home of the famous maximum security federal prison. Surely my daughter wouldn't be tempted to act up there.

26 comments:

kristen said...

love reading your writing and sharing in your adventures. so glad to know there is a place to go to recover one's marbles...

MaryL said...

That was great!! Sorry for the misbehaving little one but thanks for the laughs and very interesting info!! :)))

Cori Lynn Berg said...

Oh i love the little places that you can find along the road like that. A marble shop.. now that is something I would love to go to!

painted fish studio said...

oh, the road... i can't think of a better place to be on a gorgeous summer day. well, maybe i can, but roadtrips thru the country rank pretty high on my list!

rachel awes said...

i could eat these up/
so yummy!
our younger son, sam,
now age 12...his first
prayer a bunch of years
ago was singing
"marbles marbles marbles"...
as fine as any!
xoxox

Buffalo Lucy said...

Ohhh... Aidan would love this place! Alice would love it also, but she'd totally eat the marbles.

Love the photos!!

Sugarplum Kawaii said...

Really entertaining, eccentric and descriptive post... with super pictures too. How lovely to have a shop like Moon Marbles!

Chel said...

I can't imagine going into a shop like that and NOT starting a really huge marble collection by the time I left!

Candied Fabrics said...

At least the older one had a great time! I carry something in the car, can't remember what it's called, that I can pour into an empty gas tank and drive to a gas station...I'll bet the folks at auto zone can sell you some! You don't wanna get stuck leaving leavenworth!

Jane said...

Those marbles are incredible! Love all the colors. Makes you want to fill up the bathtub half way with them and take a bath :)

stephanie levy said...

these are beautiful Aimee - and I love your roadtrip plans! I have big travel plans myself this year ;) You can have a peek at you know where - and enter my aptly named "European Travel Fever Giveaway" :) I think you might like travelling as much as I do!!

Andria said...

What gorgeous photos of the marbles...I have loved the look and feel of them since I was a little girl. I love the tone of your "travel writing"; you have a knack for the genre! (Another project for the future, perhaps...)

Lisa MB said...

Oh, just the thought of the small one acting up during a visit to the prison gives me hives. I've actually visited a medium-security prison and even if you do things exactly the way you've been told to, it takes EONS to get through security. Plus there's no such thing as a 'quick detour' to the bathroom or anywhere else. Gaah!

Cindy said...

i love those marbles and lose mine for no good reason and with no warning from time to time, too! happy trails you three!

Marcie said...

These marbles are fantastic! What a great find!!

Lori said...

Ha! So great! I love all of your words- you are such a great storyteller. And those marbles! I want to dive in the bins and swim!

S.E.Minegar said...

yay for mini roadtrips!!

i saw a crayon demonstration at the crayola factory, and was fascinated. like watching a live episode of mr. rogers!!

happy summer.

Isabel said...

Wow!!!! All those marbles!!!!!!Soo much color:O) Glad you made it home:O) Love your adventures:O)

Laura Bolter said...

My girls both went to Moom Marble on field trips in elementary school and had a blast! I've never been, but sounds great. Someday I just might have to take my own field trip. Love reading your story, as usual!

BT said...

Wow, I've just had such a wonderful, long, lovely catch up. I've been back to the dove on the light! Your daughter's socks are wonderful and her dress is beautiful too. I love your tags and photos and tales of your comings and goings. What a lovely blog. I must make more visits!

The World Tour said...

what a marble paradise

xoxo

T from The World Tour
World Tour Stories. A couple of lovers sailing around the world.

pluckychickenheart said...

Leavenworth! Hahahaha... I feel your pain. The marble store looks just amazing. A color fest!!

bichonpawz said...

Just love your blog! What beautiful marbles! Glad you found yours...ha!

Stephanie said...

My kids and I took a little "we're not ready to go back to school yet" trip a couple of years ago there. The room in the back with the toys was AWESOME...and the marbles - well, I spent over $100 in there, but it was well worth it. Have fun at Ft. Leavanworth...we lived at Ft. Riley for three years.

aimee said...

thanks everyone! you are all welcome to come and find your marbles in kansas. if you do, drop me a line and i'll meet you there to retrieve more of mine.

AG Ambroult said...

I want nothing more than to dig my hands into those bins of glassy wonders and feel their cold, smooth touch. Then I'll lift the marbles up into the air with both hands and let them rain down on me (potentially painful) while I laugh like a madwoman. yes. that's my plans for next time I'm in Bonner Springs.