Friday, April 15, 2011

abstract adventure

painting-2

painting-1

painting-3

painting-4

painting-6

painting-7

painting-5

four posts in one week? i must be insane. this is because i took connie's 21 secrets abstract adventures workshop yesterday and had the urge to paint something huge right then with her fearless painting process; it could wait no longer. the storms were coming and the winds were feisty so i knew there wasn't much time. i rushed to fetch the kids and didn't even stop to look at a huge blowup sumo wrestler doll that was straddling two sides of 8th street downtown, much as i wanted to know what that was all about. we did not have time to get big watercolor pads, so i chopped up grocery bags, pieced them together quilt-style with masking tape into one huge sheet, and then, since we didn't have an easel that big, i taped the sucker to our deck, for otherwise it would have sailed away. i had a bunch of liquitex at hand so we grabbed some brushes and outdoors we went.

now kids are already fearless in wielding a paintbrush, and i had two of them working either end of this, so i had to split myself in two for this project -- one half to let loose on the paper, and the other to stand firm guard to make sure our house and garage did not become embattled in paint. sure enough i lost myself in one corner of the painting for long enough for our white garage door to get a bath in forest green, so i spent a half hour scrubbing it clean, finishing just before the storm arrived. we had the time of their lives painting this, but selfishly i cannot wait to get a few moments to do this project all alone, where i can get lost in my head and follow my intuition without consequence! thank you, connie -- i needed this!

32 comments:

Grabbing My Happy said...

I LOVE THAT.

Kelly Warren said...

awesome. what a super fun project. thinking mermaids and mamas here....!

aimee said...

yes!!! kelly, this would be a great mermaids & mamas project!

chrissy said...

This is the coolest thing ever! Love this idea! Can't wait to see what you do. What an awesome mama you are!

Buffalo Lucy said...

Those are some lucky kids! How fun!!

Jen Niles said...

That looks like great fun! I can't wait to be done with taxes and get BACK to the 21 Secrets! I love that workshop.

As for the sumo wrestler, I just have one thing to say: I would not want to be on the underside of a giant sumo wrestler, looking up. Just sayin'

:-)

Connie said...

I wish I could have been there too!!! That looks like THE most fun!!!

BIG Hugs! BIG Hugs!!

zahra said...

i love it!! i want to do it with my kiddos....now here is my question...what do u do with this stuff when you've finished? how do u decided what goes and what stays?

Sugarplum Kawaii said...

Wonderful...bright and colourful...looks like those kids had a brilliant time!

Candied Fabrics said...

Awesome awesomeness! that is all!

Brigitte aka Scrappassie said...

This is just amazing. To paint like a child, that's my biggest wish. One day I will have the courage to try a project like this myself ;-) Thank you so much for sharing!

lori vliegen said...

okay.....can i just come and live with you for a while? i promise to bring my own grocery bags and i'll even clean out my own paintbrushes.....and i have chocolate. lots of it. xox

Erin Butson said...

You win momma of the year. seriously. you rock. so fun.

Andria said...

Aimee, I've been so reluctant to pull out the paints with my girls. I've tried really hard to get over my mess-phobia, but paints just send me over the edge. Do these paints wash out of clothes, or do your kids just have "paint clothes"? Seeing this project makes me really think I need to get over myself immediately and give my kids some freedom to do something so wonderful as this.

NANCY LEFKO said...

WON-DER-FUL!!!!!!

painted fish studio said...

painting outdoors, as a storm approaches, sounds so wonderful! here, it is 35 degrees and snowing. bah.

la ninja said...

hooray. totally coolio, man.
but... what's wrong with forest green on white garage door? ;)

jen, snowing????? what the what the what the?

S.E.Minegar said...

coolest mom ever.

Kirstin said...

Beautiful collaborative work! I also did the abstract adventure with my daughter and it was fun to watch her because she is already fearless. We had a blast!

Claudine Intner said...

Great idea! I might borrow it. Spring break is this week.

gypsy said...

Amazing, colorful, happiness-inspiring, memory-making, cool! My kids would love this... {note to self: keep the dog away lest we have green footprints across the artwork and the porch}

Alexandra Hedberg said...

fantastic painting. The kids sure have gotten your sense of colour!

rachel awes said...

i love the
HUGENESS
of your
inspiration
& heart
& your
collective
CaptainSuperDuper
ocean of delight
art! xox

Carissa said...

How fun! You are super-mom!
I saw one of those blow up dancing creatures this weekend & thought of you :)

XO

elizabeth said...

This is stunning! You and your girls seem to enjoy the same colors I do.

artistaprilcole@gmail.com said...

This is incredible... love it!

cindy k said...

love how it's so big, Big, BIG! and the teamwork!

Chris Graham said...

I used to teach preschool for many years I still have a free spirit when it comes to painting and I love what you posted. I think I need to try it.

Emie58 said...

Just popping in from 21 Secrets... I saw your painting in Connie's workshop and wanted to say how great it is to involve your children. I think they can teach us a lot about enjoying the process of painting and not thinking too hard about it!
Emie

AG Ambroult said...

"intuition without consequence" ha!

I love it--using grocery bags and tape. This will be a good project for when we can spread out on the grass (as far away from the garage we we can go) and get messy and all kinds of freaky on the huge canvas.

Dana Barbieri said...

sounds (and looks) like fun for you and them!

Millie said...

Boy this sounds super duper!!! I am going to try this out!!