Friday, November 12, 2010

art every day month #11: oh my gouache

oh-my-gouache-2

Last minute squeaker today. Almost didn't happen. It was a day full of rushing and scrambling to get here and there, school conferences, wielding a scanner at the book fair this morning, cleaning the exploded coffee out of the loaner entrusted to me while my car is still at the spa. Then off to the grocery store, where I caused a minor banana cascade in the produce section. Got home, knew there wasn't enough time to start a doodle, so I unpacked the groceries and cut up the paper bag into rectangles. Fetched the kids, brought them home, and pulled out the gouache. The cheapie kind, so I wouldn't freak if they painted with the whole tube. We painted rashly, giving each other one-minute challenges, two color challenges, starting with blue dot in the middle challenges, and so on, as fast as we could so I get these pictures before the next time zone claimed the sun. They are still painting, and I'm going back to join them in a minute. This is my kind of painting. The kind that doesn't demand a Great Statement. The kind that happens fast and frenetically. And this is my kind of surface. The plebeian paper bag. The people's canvas.

20 comments:

Leah said...

Yay for creating in the spare moments! And having fun!

Bobbi Lewin said...

The brown paper bag is one of my favorite art utensils! I don't know why, I'm just attracted to the look of it with paint or pencil or collage.

girlunwinding said...

sometimes those mad dash art moments are the best. No time to think, no time to doubt. You all created some great papers maybe for gift wrapping or tags later on. . .
~Dawn

I Saw You Dancing said...

Your life is saturated with art! What an extraordinary dance you manage to do with your daily responsibilities.
You're an inspiration.
xx

painted fish studio said...

whew! that made me tired.

BT said...

You are such an inspiration! Lucky kids too.

Joyelle @ An Artful Endeavor said...

This is a great idea! I'm going to try this with my son this week!

lori vliegen said...

yep, you can't beat a good ol' plebeian paper bag.....or a banana cascade at the grocery store (hey, at least the bananas don't bounce all the way over to the dairy section like the apples do......guess how i know that....)
LOVE your gouache play!!! xox, :))

freebird said...

ATC sized rectangles? It looks like you and your girls are having a grand ol' time. You sound so busy and frantic, just like my daughter and nieces. Is the whole world this busy anymore? When does it stop and let everyone off?

The bananas must have been a spectacle! Banana bread anyone?

sherri said...

I like "the people's canvas" and the phrase "minor banana cascade" the latter a great band name idea.
oh yeah, and the awt as well. dig it.

Chelsea Slaven-Davis said...

Awesome. I am a big advocate of random acts of art work played out on recycled materials. I once spent every evening for a week cutting out strips of magazine pages (old Atlantic issues), painting them in pastel-hued watercolors, and chaining them into a big, long garland. That was finals week my fall term at university. +Chelsea

pluckychickenheart said...

Brilliant! I just grabbed some new gouache too.
One of the best paintings I ever saw was about six feet in height,painted on brown paper bags..a huge birthday cake all in red. So simple and present. Pun totally intended!

Jehanne said...

that is a wonderful idea. I will have to borrow it as I am sure my kids will love to do too.

Inner Toddler said...

long live the people!

Jane said...

Hip Hip Hooray for the paper bag! I love how it all turned out! I've got the mother load of coffee filters. Maybe I'll try painting on them sometime :)

L'Atelier said...

another inspring day round artsyville!
to paperbags and guache!

The Original Drama Mama said...

Desperation leads to inspiration! Love it :)

Bella Sinclair said...

Hahahahaha, the people's canvas.

I can just picture it: SIT! PAINT! NOW!

Ooooh, I bet they loved it!

Dana Barbieri said...

I really love this. Love brown bags, love the fast, no time to think about it painting with the kids and I really admire your making art every day. I tried it awhile back... couldn't do it.
xo,
dana

AG Ambroult said...

cute, fast, easy, without restrictions. I might have to bust out the paper bags for the girls today.