Wednesday, June 3, 2009

corner view - the beach

the theme of this week's corner view is the beach, but sadly, i have no photos of a fine kansas beach to show you. if you don't live in the US and don't know where kansas is (it's OK if you don't; i grew up in the states and its exact position eluded me until my thirties), take a look at this map and you'll see why. the sunflower state is landlocked in the middle of the country with no coastal hopes at all. sure, kansas has its share of lakes and token strips of sand, but when i think of a beach, i think of shores separated by hundreds and thousands of miles - ones that feel like the edges of the earth.

so today i'm taking you somewhere else: big sur. driving the pacific coast highway in california was a longstanding pipe dream trip for me; i had been to los angeles and san francisco plenty enough, but not on the path between them. so two years ago my husband and i flew into LA, got the hell out, and started wandering up the coast.









this drive is never the same view twice; the landscape changes remarkably between the two cities. in some parts the beaches are sandy, in others rocky, and at certain points there are no beaches at all - just cliffs that drop off into the sea. these pictures don't come close to showing how spectacular the drive is, but at least they bring back the feeling of the experience: those hundreds of miles of hairpin turns along the cliffs above the shores, the slow seaside villages along the way, the hilarious tourist bus to hearst castle, whale-watching and wine at nepenthe (a marvelous restaurant on the cliffs of big sur), an afternoon in monterey feeling like i was walking through a john steinbeck novel... a marvelous trip! i love california!

more corner views of the beach: jane, ladybug-zen, ian, bonnie, esti, sophie, cele, modsquad, caitlin, joyce, ani, couturecoucou, kim, a day that is dessert, natsumi, epe, kaylovesvintage,trinsch, c.t.,jeannette, outi, schanett, ritva, francesca, state of bliss, jennifer,dana, denise, cabrizette, bohemia girl, dianna, isabelle, amber, the girl in the yellow shoes, mister e,janis, kari, jgy, jenna, skymring, elizabeth, audrey, allison, lise, cate, mon, victoria, crescent moon, erin, otli, amy, ida, caroline, lisa, dorte, kimmie, la lune dans le ciel, nicola, malo, vanessa, britta, virgina, april, rebecca, b, kyndale, samantha, karen, kristina, angelina, dorit, goldensunfamily, sophie, janet, nicki, ruth, mcgillicutty, desiree, di, travelingmama, sunnymama, amanda, jenell, guusje, juanita, pamela, inna, daan, myrtille

hope you're having a great day, preferably on a beach :)

41 comments:

jane said...

pretty spectacular! i swear you crack me up. love your humor. besos! jane- and thank you!

Dorte said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip ... gorgeous photos :-)

Joyce said...

I took this drive once and loved it! Thanks for the memories. xoxo

Kimmie said...

beautiful shots of the coves along the coast - what an amazing drive it is!!!

McGillicutty said...

What a fantastic post, the pictures are spectacular!! Thanks for this. Ali.

vanessa aka Nessie Noodle said...

One of my all time favorite road trips was along this road- it is an amazing place indeed!!

isabelle said...

thanks for the ballad ... I wish I could visit one day ...

janis said...

That makes me happy since I am a native Californian (bay area)...

Ah, and I thought I recognized Nepenthe...did the birds steal your french fries?

kim said...

love your header, your art, etc. -- great calif pics - a good beach substitute for kansas!

aimee said...

ha, janis - i was so enchanted by nepenthe that the birds could have stolen my luggage and i don't think i would have noticed!

Lisa said...

Wow, incredible photos! What a great trip.

HA! Ohio doesn't have beaches either, the saltwater kind anyway.

Lisa :)

Anairam said...

What a great corner! But oh dear, to live in a state without a beach - that is too sad! I grew up in a province (now called Gauteng) without a sea. As a child I always promised myself that when I was grown-up, I would live by the sea. And a few years after I graduated, I packed my suitcases, got on the train, left my family and friends behind, and came to Cape Town, where I have lived ever since.
PS To speak Afrikaans to your kids, you will need at least three phrases: sit stil (don't fidget), ja (yes) & nee (no) ... okay, four: baie lief vir jou (I love you very much)

Dana said...

This is lovely. When I think of CA, this is not exactly what I picture! Thanks for this perspective.

epe said...

sounds fantastic! :)

Daan said...

Great Trip!

Great, I need to say: super pics!

oneartistjournal said...

Beautiful pictures...Funny how we always long to be in places faraway from where we are...I live in Redondo BEACH, California..I recognize your images very well..but I long to be in the mountains, green, wet mountains..Do you have these in kansas

caitlin said...

Is it sad that I didn't know Kansas was the sunflower state? Very cool though :)

I am the same about beaches. In fact I didn't go to any when I was a kid I think I was 16 before I actually saw the ocean and felt the water on my toes.

aimee said...

cool to see you all here! i'm enjoying everyone's beach views.

alas, no wet, green mountains here. but this place still surprised me the first time i visited - the prairie is hilly and pretty, and there are, of course, fields of sunflowers taller than i'll ever be.

and hey, anairam - now i need you to teach me some juicy words in afrikaans :)

state of bliss said...

wow! gorgeous views, beutiful places! I'd love to visit California... Thank you so much for sharing :)

hanna-happenings said...

Such a nice trip!

la lune dans le ciel said...

California is so far from me ... and Kansas too!
thank you for taking me with you !

trinsch said...

wow! that looks like a dream trip to me. i love road trips, but not with young kids. if my sweet love and i were to get a romantic vacation without the kids, i'd go for a road trip. but for now we'll just road trip it to the beach :)

have a great day ~ trinsch

L'Atelier said...

what a beautiful corner!!

and i laughed so much about your explanation on kansas!
(ps- when do you decided on different corners? and what is the title for friday?)

joanne said...

i love californ-i-a too :)

gorgeous photos...

i do have to say though you do Lawrence, Kansas very proud... your stories and photos always make me want to visit :)

B said...

Those are impressive landscapes! My idea of Californian beaches is very different!

Jeannette said...

Sigh....how gorgeous! What a great trip (except for the hairpin turns!).
This has now become a dream trip for me! ;)
Have a great day, Jeannette

steve said...

Too beautiful! Thanks for sharing Aimee - makes me wanna travel more again.

MODsquad said...

Oh, I'd love to go there! Awesome photos! Welcome to 'Corner View'! Totally dig your art!

Happy Day!

...Lisa

Bella Sinclair said...

OMG! Gorgeous! Last Christmas, the girls and I spent a few days in Big Sur. We stayed in a yurt. It was freeeeezing, but cool. I remember Nepenthe! The views were stunning. Winter is when the elephant seals come to shore to mate. Incredible sight, though they are a bit stinky. Wow!

Kari said...

Love the pictures. And I love California too. I've done the same drive and it is spectacular!!

A Day That is Dessert said...

great beach view!

gracialouise said...

Wishing I were by the beach... perhaps this weekend I'll take to the beach. Winter is here and the beach on a grey day is close to brilliant perfection for me.

Thanks for the sun and the salt, g xo

Le blÖg d'Ötli said...

That's an amazing corner view !!! Thanks !!!

Bonnie said...

these are beautiful !!!

'flew into LA, got the hell out' that's how i feel every single time i fly into LA !!!

Alexandra Hedberg said...

spectacular photos!

A beach, yes would be great - but today I'm even better off: painting. Just waiting for someparts to dry at the moment ... and then back to the pleasure..

Esti said...

I did the same trip almost twenty years ago! And yes, it was so great! I loved the coastal view and the trip itself. I had a fantastic time.
On another note, I didn't know kansas was the sunflower state! I love sunflowers!! We don't get many around here...

heather smith jones said...

holy cow, your links! that must have taken forever!
i've never been to CA and now i see why i need to go. i'm amazed at all the flowering plants on the cliffs!
do you get to go to a beach soon? i hope?

thecraftbegins said...

Gorgeous. I've done that drive in one way or another a few times, and its sheer epic-ness never ceases to surprise.

Diggin the blog, btw.

ambika said...

Even living on a big body of water (the Puget Sound) it just doesn't compare when you actually see the ocean. There's nothing like the Oregon or California coast.

Suana said...

Stunning stunning views!! Wish I was there...
Have a lovely weekend, Aimee and thank you for sharing these with us
xo
Suana

aimee said...

thanks all!! and welcome to all the new corner viewers here. yes, the sunflowers are powerful - i never knew it was the sunflower state, either, until i moved here a few years ago. i'll try to get to a sunflower patch in august and post a few photos.