Monday, April 13, 2009

a weekend in austin











several times each year we go back to texas, that land where the bluebonnets cover the earth and the temperature is fit for humans - usually. this time we had one day of gorgeous weather and then it felt like we were back in kansas again. but that didn't stop me from stealing an afternoon to check out the groovy shops, street art and odd finds on south congress avenue in austin. and it most definitely did NOT stop me from meeting my favorite ranter and writer on creativity, ricë freeman-zachery, and her husband earl that evening for the first time. i already knew i'd love them and of course i did immediately. i found that ricë is not only a darling, but to my delight she rants in person just like she does on her blog, in a sweet and charming voice, and earl complements her beautifully with the perfectly-timed zinger throughout her rants. we met for drinks and then went out for dinner with a few of their friends, including the outrageously funny wendy hale davis, a bookbinder who creates stunning visual journals. being around all of that artistic and comic genius left me rather mute by the end of the evening, but with a huge smile on my face, and strong hopes that i'll see these lovelies again someday.

23 comments:

Stacey D. - fromapackedhouse said...

Glad you enjoy Austin. That is where I am - born and raised here. Pretty neat place.

Christy said...

You have such a knack for noticing interesting things. I like the "far out" sign. Glad you're back safely!

cindy : quaint said...

sounds like a great city with some wonderful friends. i love the top photo. looking forward to you finding your voice texas-style ;).

Bella Sinclair said...

Oh, lucky, lucky girl! You got to meet such fantastic people, and I'm sure they were equally enamored with you. WOW, what an explosion of talent that descended upon Austin!

I so wish I could steal your eyes for a day. I know that would leave you blind, but bbphhhhp, I'm going to be selfish. You find the greatest things wherever you go! I thought it was Lawrence, but now I'm realizing that it's YOU! Swedish fish on bricks? HA! FABULOUS!

aimee said...

bella, i knew you would pick up on the swedish fish trio - that was the funniest find of the day. they were stuck on a building at eye level - no way i could miss those!

i_b_erin said...

I love your silent observations.
It insprires me to take more photo's.
I am envious I dont live close, and could come and play with you and Rice!
Peace!

●• Tiny Red said...

wow it sounds and looks wonderful!!!

so glad to see/hear you had a fantastic time :)

ArtSparker said...

Sounds wonderful. Meeting bloggers I click with is definitely on my wish list. My personal signage favorite is the devil vs. shrimp...looks like the outcome is already clear, heh.

suzanne cabrera said...

Love the Swedish Fish! I've never been to Austin, but have always wanted to go. Thanks for capturing these moments so I can live vicariously through you.

Nina Crittenden said...

I like the Far Out sign and the swedish fish... were they stuck to the wall????

Miss Aimee said...

don't you love austin! looks liek you had fun. xo

trinsch said...

austin looks awesome through your eyes.

soulbrush said...

i would really love to spend some time there, my sort of place...great photos. hope you had a wonderfully happy easter.

peggy said...

What great photos! And oh I can almost smell the bluebonnets.....sigh
Sounds like a fun trip.

steve said...

First Thereza's trip, then yours Aimee. Thanks for showing us around - these shots are great!

please sir said...

Oh I would love to go there - thanks for showing me around!

Anairam said...

What a great weekend! I love that painted doormat - I'm feeling a project coming on ... Also thanks for posting the link to your friend's site - oh, I laughed and laughed about the porta-potty story!

Esti said...

it sounds like a great time!

FruensWerk2 said...

Supernice photos girl :) hug hug

painted fish studio said...

what a wonderful weekend!

That Girl Designs said...

Can't believe you were in Austin and didn't stop by! (just kidding) I love my town and am so glad you had a good time.

BT said...

Wonderful photos of your trip. I love the painted mat outside the door! The fish are incredible too!!

Shani said...

Oh LUCKY you!!! The photos are great and sounds like you had a nice evening. I often check out the Voodoo Cafe and find Rice a real hoot so I can imagine you had a very interesting evening. Austin's a great town, a little tiny oasis of liberalism in a big desert of conservatism.