Thursday, January 1, 2009

the low-profile reveler



hope you all had a great new years eve! any stories to share? i admit that i enjoy staying home to welcome the new year. my share of mind-rattling new year celebrations are well behind me and i don't miss them. especially the nightclub ones. one year i got stuck at the bargain clown mart lounge in LA, another time at a suffocating club in new york, and i didn't care about the new year in the least; all i wanted was out. the friends who dragged me there knew me well enough to keep tabs on me; if we got separated, one would nudge the other and say "go find aimo; she must be freaking out by now. or she's already bolted." and then there was the jam-packed puerta del sol in madrid with champagne bottles smashing all around, the fiesta bowl block party in phoenix, and... oh my... i'm glad that i've been there and done it, but crowds are no longer for me.

everyone in our household was asleep by 9 pm including mr. artsyville so i just doodled around happily with a glass of wine until a bit after midnight.

this year i think i'll start including bits of what i'm reading. right now i'm finishing up 'seeing' by jose saramago and starting 'the master and margarita' by bulgakov. artsygirl and i were having doughnuts at a bookstore this morning, lost in our reads, when our neighbor saw us and came over to mention what a nice mother-daughter moment it was to see us reading to ourselves and each other. and then it hit me what a moment it really was; a year ago such a thing would have been impossible. she would have been running around the store, pulling books off the shelves, causing scenes and so on. something happened on her way to six. her mind matured, her curiosity took off and her reasoning skills sharpened. no longer do i have to constantly watch her and say "do this" or "don't do that" out of necessity to keep her safe and our home intact. i'm transforming from police officer to guide, which is a role i much prefer. i mentioned this to my neighbor and she said in her sweet turkish accent, "you're becoming friends now."

a quiet day, a good start.

19 comments:

cindy : quaint said...

sounds like a perfect day - your neighbor is very wise? i envy your ability to focus long enough to read a book - i just don't seem to be able to quiet my mind long enough for even a short story, lately;). happy new year and new day!

Alexandra Hedberg said...

... ah friends. I don't know if I am even a police officer. Maybe a guard at a zoo - or a animal caretaker. The son is a crazy monkey. Strong, smart and unpredictable. Not respecting authority and only 3, 5 years old. You promise that will change?

Kelly said...

what a wonderful momemt, aimee. so 6, huh? my girls are 5. i'm still waiting for that moment! i'm not a new year's eve reveler either. we are very happy to stay home. i think the last new year's eve we were out, we really did it up right...our one new year's eve in times square. had a great time, and now i can say "been there, done that..don't need to do it again!" have a wonderful year!

Ces said...

I do not like going out on NEw Year's Eve because as a former ER nurse, I know people are crazy! We did go to our friends' house and sang karaoke. She had a feast and plus our dinner yesterday, I did not eat anything since this morning. However, I am now making a New Year's Day dinner with turkey and the trimmings!

Ces said...

Oh, I am so rude. I forgot to greet you a Happy New Year!

One New Year's eve I also fell asleep on the sofa and the kids were up celebrating with my husband, sister and friends.

Dawn said...

Happy New year!

I did the Fiesta Bowl Block Party one year. It was so friggin crowded I had to get away from it. My friends (who drove in their separate cars) and I all decided to leave and go to one of our fave clubs away from campus. It took us all forever to get out of that traffic cluster! Ick!

For the millenium, Hubby and I stayed home and had another couple over. I had so many different drinks that night...I was SO trashed the next day, I vowed NEVER to do that again! Of course, i did! :)

Christy said...

Isn't it wonderful? E and I are becoming friends now, too. So special. Happy New Year from a fellow low-key participant. :)

Bella Sinclair said...

...mmmmm...doughnuts....

Ug, I'm so not a party person. I find it weird to ring in the new year with strangers. I'd much rather celebrate quietly at home with family and perhaps a few close friends, safe in the knowledge that no one is going to get run over by a drunk driver tonight.

Sounds like a wonderful way to start the new year, you and artsygirl! It is heaven when the kids get more tame. It's either that or I'm just getting more lazy in my parenting. Hmmm, probably the latter.

I must admit, I'm a little behind in the literary arena. I'm just now finishing up Kitchen Confidential. Yummy good!

Esti said...

Happy New Year Aimee!!

I relate to your mother and daughter moment. I now have many of those with my eldest, although the little one tries hard to spoil that kinda moment, ha, ha... But, yes, I know now that things always improve :)

Dave King said...

I like the look and feel of your blog. I'm definitely going to be coming back.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

I agree with Cindy, sounds like a prefect day my friend. I had a few friends and family over, but before they all came I had time to clean out my studio and put stuff away and get out a little inspiration for the new year. It was wonderful! I feel like I clean palette to start on! I pulled out all my collage papers and and other art supplies and put them into clean bins so that I could just gab stuff and start a project. It's refreshing to say the very least. I love being home on a winters day with candles a braze and music going and me creating something. Anything! I hope that everyone get a chance to do what's in there hearts to do.
I wish you much creativity and happiness in the New Year my friend!!! Hugs a plenty!

see you there! said...

Wonderful story of reading time with your daughter. I am an avid reader myself and look forward to your book posts. Suggestions from others always broaden my choice and selections.

Darla

daisy janie : scoutie girl said...

I was an (in)famous bolter, too, in college! Just had to go when I had to go....

would love to hear more about your reads - i usually just read whatever someone gives me and says, "I thought you'd like this." and even if I don't, i have to finish what i started!!

yoon see said...

Yeah, you have so much joy doing your art after they sleep:)
Quality time for Art.
Also hang out with good friend. This is a great privilage!!!

●• Tiny Red said...

yeah, a much nicer role aimee... a lovely post too!
:))

Nina Crittenden said...

Our New Year was mellow, too. Very nice, and just my speed. My eldest daughter is nearing six, and really changing. My four-year-old makes us both laugh now- it is pretty cool.

heather smith jones said...

that's a sweet image, thinking of you two reading there together.
i love reading your posts and the narrative you give us. it's like you're talking with us and i love it!

Allek said...

Lindo espacio...
salus!

aimee said...

thanks all! :)