Wednesday, December 10, 2008

travelgirl


it's passport renewal time. it has been for a long time. i just haven't done anything about it. if i can't manage to drag myself to kinkos for a few pictures and to the post office to fill out a few papers, hopes aren't too high that i'm going anywhere but kansas city and indianapolis for a while. the odds are i'll just stay in one spot and daydream about the nonstop travelgirl i used to be. for a long time i traveled for work, and my old company had a deal that allowed me to fly anywhere i wanted on the weekend as long as the airfare was the same or less than to fly back home to chicago. believe me, i took full advantage of this policy and went as many places as i could manage, going home just often enough to collect my mail. fares overseas were surprisingly often cheaper than flying back home, so i made weekend rounds to rome, lisbon, paris and london, and oddly enough, saved the company money in doing so (and yes, i did show up at work looking and feeling like a shaggy dog on monday mornings after those trips.)

these days are different. i escaped the golden handcuffs of the consulting life, the frequent flier miles are gone, and my children, sweet darlings that they are, have dramatically slowed down my wayward drifting. now i'm just happy to get a good night of sleep, a good cup of coffee and an hour of doodletime each day. the girls are showing promising signs of being travelworthy. we'll see :)

17 comments:

Ces said...

Oh you reminded me. I too love to travel. I am thinking Paris in the spring. Not the touristy bit, just try to get to the Louvre and spend the rest of the week sitting at cafes. I always love your word art. Do you do classic calligraphy too?

see you there! said...

Just did the passport thing ONLINE. You still have to get the photo's and all but the forms are there. Easy - that is if you a aren't in a special hurry or anything.

Now we need to go somewhere :-)

Darla

Bella Sinclair said...

You're so lucky to have been able to do that while you were still carefree. A friend of mine was based in Vienna for a while, and every weekend she made a point of traveling to a new country. She made it to at least 80! Me, I'm a nervous traveler. I'm quite happy with the beauty in my own little town and am satisfied with my pile of National Geographic magazines.

Great piece! Love how the gal is already on her way out. I hope she collects a bunch of cool stickers for her luggage!

jess gonacha said...

wow, that sounds like my dream life! traveling to rome on the weekends...... amazing. i've been feeling the travel itch myself lately.

cindy : quaint said...

it's wonderful that you were able to sow some of your wild traveling oats while you were wearing those golden handcuffs. so many people who wear them are not even able to be arm chair travelers. and, once on, removing them could be harder than breaking out of prison ;).

we're terrible about traveling and feel content at home. i've wanted to go to san francisco for years and we might actually do it next year, or not.

Nina Victor Crittenden said...

My daughters have just become great travelers, and they are 4 and almost 6, and did pretty well last year, too, now that I think about it!

daisy janie : scoutie girl said...

sounds dreamy. who knew irrepressible would look so pretty in print?

joanne said...

it sounds wonderful to be a gypsy collecting memories from places and people all over the world. I think it would be awesome to give that gift of experience to your children.

painted fish studio said...

you have given me a bit of wanderlust... love that you have traveled and seen the world! i hope you and the girls are able to make some amazing trips in the future.

Krissy said...

oh yes girl... I have the wayward itch!!!
Lovely print :)

please sir said...

I ALWAYS have the travel itch...I wonder what is stopping me? Mostly the $$$. I got none of it! I love to travel and hope to do more and more.

●• Tiny Red said...

hummmm travelling... always a good idea....
nice and bright doodle!!! :)

L'Atelier said...

i love travelling and had my nomade blood stirring for last two months- this piece is SO ME! hahaha all the time. hope you get to see the world again soon!
its my new years resolution for 2009 by the way- decided that a few days ago :D

e.beck.artist said...

my three have passports ... and they sleep better on an overnight flight than i do!!

Alexandra Hedberg said...

..yesterday i wrote this really long comment here ... but everything somehow crashed. So it was lost.

Anyhow - travelling is great - but children are better. There is a time for everything. I'm looking forward to when my son is big enough to enjoy travelling (and we're having money to afford it)... so we can go on adventures together!

Shani said...

Ah...but the point here is that you HAVE traveled, which is something Americans as a rule don't do much of (something I find very unfortunate). Travel is a life changing kind of thing. But you never know though when the travelbug for whatever reason might bite, so renew that passport!!!

suzanne cabrera said...

Wow...now that sounds like a dream job!!!! Love this one too...and this one...and this one...and this one...

You get the drift.