Monday, December 15, 2008

art goggles


finally got back to this doodle i started after a midnight doodling blunder a few weeks ago. i'm a night owl. some of my favorite ideas surface then, and i'm rarely ambivalent about what i create after dark. either i really like it or i really don't. in this case i really didn't, and now it is in the trash can, but i had fun thinking about how differently i think and do during those hours. then i read this wonderful post by judy wise about creativity after dark, in which she describes how things go bump in the night, especially during winter when the days are short and the nights are long. how i'd love to have a little protective angel floating above my head like her beautiful night muse in that second photo. when i look at her work, i can't imagine judy ever having problems with midnight art goggles.

thanks to all for the birthday wishes. it was a wonderful day and now i'm coping with the annual december 15 deflation, as everything that goes up must come down. the weather did too, in dramatic fashion. yesterday morning it was 59 degrees. this morning it was 3 with a wind chill of 15 below. if that isn't a letdown, i don't know what is!

18 comments:

Judy Wise said...

oh, deliver us from winter and soon! We have white everywhere and icicles from the roof; so unusual for Portland. I lived in Kansas for a year once though and remember the extreme cold there. Sending you a handful of warmth to light the way. xo

Krissy said...

I feel your pain with the cold girl! It was beautiful yesterday and today it's iced over cold! Glad you had a fantastic birthday...

Kelly C. said...

darling! happy happy happy birthday!!! and i LOVE the art goggles-- so perfect--. you have such a way of capturing those thoughts and moments in such a creative (and gorgeous) way!
xo

L'Atelier said...

glad you had a fab day :)
and i also am an night owl-so get what you mean about night working...
here it is really hot now, so when i hear about icy weather- everybody seems to be in a different world!
sending you some warms and sunrays from Cape Town :D

●• Tiny Red said...

another night owl joining in :)

●• Tiny Red said...

ohhh i like artsyville's new look! :)))

Nina Crittenden said...

It is bitterly cold here, too. I like the night goggles- do you have any extras?

Julia said...

What a wonderful note on the brilliance after the sun goes down!

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY

cindy : quaint said...

i love the art goggles, kind of like an owl. it's 60 degrees here today and we'll enjoy it while it lasts ;).

Katrina said...

i totally agree that my creativity seems to change depending on the hour. and then it changes depending on the day. and yes, things go bump in the night sometimes for certain. what a delightful post.

Ces said...

I totally agree! I paint and draw well at night because it is so quiet. Sometimes I don't sleep at all then I have to go to work. Then by the third or fourth day I sleep for eight hours and then go on again.

I agree. We should really plan a get together with all the artist/bloggers we know and like!

Bella Sinclair said...

Girl, you crack me up! Midnight art goggles, ohhhh yeah. I cringe to look at my old stuff.

I used to be a night owl, but I just can't do it anymore. :-(

joanne said...

i can relate to it all...from being a night owl and finding creative fire in the night...to sometimes waking up with new eyes and wondering what i was thinking when i created "that" last night...

this is another beauty...full of so much truth and awesome illustration.

steve said...

happy beleated b-day aimee!! yes, gotta love those art night goggles, huh? if only i didn't have to drag my rear out of bed early in the morning (ok, that means i really NEED to go to sleep now). stay warm and wonderful job!

jess gonacha said...

my sister who lives in boulder (where i used to live) said the high was 1 degree yesterday, and i felt grateful to live in georgia now, where it was a steamy 55 degrees yesterday! :) i love how you said you're not ambivalent about what you create after dark. it's fun to picture you after midnight, working away on a drawing in midnight art goggles!

painted fish studio said...

my art goggles involve wine (surprise!). there is something so awesome about waking up the next morning and seeing the creation from the night before. yes, some have gone in the trash, but the ones that work are such a joy to see. it's like christmas!

please sir said...

Such a sweet idea. I'm a night person too...I wish my work schedule could go around it!

Design Lovely said...

This is so fun and cute! I know what you are saying about working at night especially if you have something really inspiring.