Wednesday, November 12, 2008

and finally, looking up


i had one doodle left in me today, so i continued looking up and around. some things were good to see, others not so much. lately i've been getting a kick out of fruenswerk's marker drawings, so i dug out my old box of tria/letrasets. i've had these markers for eight years and i was surprised at how few of them had dried up. most of them were in great shape. but i had forgotten how stinky they are. after a glass of wine and smelling these babies for an hour, i started feeling like the little guy trying to pull the guitar off the building.

i just got an e-mail from my friend alix, who found my daughter's hat in a puddle on the street this afternoon. only in this town would i ever have a fighting chance of someone i know recognizing my daughter's hat and giving it back to me. and i know my girl. i've seen her discard her coat and backpack on the sidewalk without a care in the world; the hat was probably bothering her and i'll bet she flung her hat in that puddle on purpose.

16 comments:

soulbrush said...

now this is pure 'artsyville' and i love it....if i choose one of your pieces, will you sell it to me? i am itching to have one on my wall! how big are they? do you sell them?

daisy janie : scoutie girl said...

I'd like to enjoy your artwork in my home, too!!! Love this one. I see cracks in the ceiling up there.

please sir said...

Lovely piece. That is so funny about the hat - how wonderful!

painted fish studio said...

i love everything about this post. the illustration, the hat story. wonderful to read on a grey morning!

●• Tiny Red said...

it's making me laugh!!! :D
priceless aimee!

jess gonacha said...

you're so dang talented!

Bella Sinclair said...

Hooohooooo! Oh my gosh, someone please help me up. My sides hurt from laughing! This and it's b/w partner over there are true gems. I'm dancing over your little whimsical drawings...the peeping head, the crooked doors, the shoes.

And outlets on ceilings come in darn handy for those Mary Poppins teaparties, didn't you know? ;)

Stephanie said...

I love that hat story - it sounds like a children's book : The Hat That Wouldn't Get Lost - all about a little girl and the itchy hat she tries to lose.

Illustration project?

(And this is lovely.)

Kelly said...

i just love your doodles...i agree with soulbrush and daisyjanie! i'd love to have one in my house!

Jessica Rae said...

I've just discovered your blog tonight. I think this is the best thing I've seen in a long time. It makes me smile despite all of the reasons I wasn't previously smiling. You.Are.Wonderful. (and talented, but you got that part, right?)

heather smith jones said...

heehee I'm so tickled at the thought of her hat! and the thought of you w/ those markers.
You always make me smile Aimee, thank you for that!

steve said...

Wow, this is awesome Aimee - one of my faves from you so far! Btw, I tagged you for a meme, so if you want, you can try it out.

aimee said...

hey, you have all made my night! i almost trashed this drawing. came so close. then the little guys surfaced in the windows and on the roof and i thought i would give them a chance.

great title, stephanie - i might have to do something w/that, and bella's teaparties on ceilings.

welcome, jessica rae - glad you found us in the ville :)

Megan Coyle said...

This one really reminds me of a sunset. The colors are lovely :)

FruensWerk said...

Hahaha...good thing girl...finding old stinky markers...Makes you happy and dizzy that they still work...ay? hihi...Great drawingwords as always :)

Shugar said...

This is lovely!
Ahahahhaa.... I'm glad the hat made its way back somehow! :)