Wednesday, September 3, 2008

curiosities

a utility pole next to funkytown that someone has transformed into a community bulletin and magnetic board...




a sad looking duck at funkytown, which was a bit sparse today...


scribbles from a bored bench dweller (not me)...





...and while i'm on the subject of quirky finds, you local readers must check out kansas curiosities by pam grout. it is full of odd and offbeat stuff around the state, and not surprisingly, lawrence has its own chapter (the only city to get that honor). her description is spot-on: "lawrence is one big summer camp attracting odd characters from all over the world. practically any one of its 80,000 inhabitants could qualify for a listing in this book."

my hands-down favorite was discovering that the downtown post office throws a party on april 15 every year to cheer on procrastinators as they slink in the door to file their taxes. there's food, drink, a band, revelry, the works. for me that even beats the pooch plunge at the outdoor pool, which we attended this afternoon. what a scene...

i'd love to hear a curiosity about your town or city :)

12 comments:

Bella Sinclair said...

Oh my gosh, your town just KILLS me! I want to go there. My husband and I were contemplating Oregon as our final move, but I'm gonna have to consider Lawrence!

soulbrush said...

love the utility pole, aren't people fascinating?

Krissy said...

fun! The post office thing cracks me up...
We attended our pool paws just last night :)

jess gonacha said...

oh my god, that post office party idea KILLS me. that's hilarious! what a great post, aimee. :)

jess gonacha said...

ha! i just read bella sinclair's post above after i posted mine and we both wrote KILLS in big letters-- that's funny!

aimee said...

this place kills me too - that is the perfect word for it! :)

♥ Tiny Red said...

love the pole! :)

Kelly C. said...

i LOVE that pole... and those notes on the bench. how bored could that kid be anyway? interesting enough to write notes to the universe on a bench, at least.

larrytown rules, it's true. now about my town.... well, my once and future town of portland, orygun: my old neighborhood featured an intersection that was painted all funky (the street, that is), and there was a little house where anyone could just hang out. lots of items for trade left on the corner and a little bulletin board of goings on. i miss that.

hrsj said...

oh i wish i'd seen the pooch plunge today! did you get any pictures of that?

and i have to say, i witnessed that tax party at the post office, being one of those procrastinators. it was something else!

see you there! said...

That pole is so clever. As for town quirks and curiosities? I am in Berkeley - where do you want me to start?

Darla

aimee said...

kelly: i must get to 'orygun' one of these days to see that hangout house!

heather: i can't picture you as a procrastinator at all... i did get pics of the pooch plunge - and a video!

darla: berkeley IS a curiosity! you lucky girl.

please sir said...

Oh funkytown - still going strong! How do others feel about it? The utility pole idea is so neat.