Wednesday, July 23, 2008

within our limits


yesterday esti wrote a beautiful post about barriers - why we have them and how they impact us - which made me think about the roles that limits and freedom serve in our lives. i've felt oppressed and restricted by limits, but they have also pushed me to try something new that i wouldn't have otherwise. i've been exhilarated by freedom, but have also felt suffocated and overwhelmed from too many choices.

so i must strike a balance between the two in order to operate properly. as much as i fight structure, loathe limits and kvetch about obligations and deadlines, i have to have these things. they give shape to my hours and definition to my days. i enjoy my short intense bursts of creative freedom much more when i know there is only a limited amount of time for it. it's a tricky balance indeed and some days i never quite get it right.

today's moments: a deep flash of gratitude for my daughters' preschool teachers. a sundae cone for dinner. the pixies. thinking about how my husband understands me better than i do myself. a beautiful handmade journal from annie. a cry-on-the-floor belly laugh.

8 comments:

Krissy said...

How true... I just love your blog!

Esti said...

thanks for sharing this with me. Limits do define us.
:)

jess gonacha said...

wow, aimee, this is so spot on for me right now. and i LOVE your moments at the end: it's so wonderful to focus on what you're grateful for. thanks for the huge amounts of inspiration!!

♥ Tiny Red said...

very true!!! love the composition too.
the not being allowed to travel to cuba would really annoy me :(

stephanie levy said...

nice highlights of the day. thanks for sharing :)

aimee said...

i popped this question on the *creative life* yahoo group today - wondering how limits affect creativity in others - and the answers were remarkably similar: most artists felt that they needed - even enjoyed - having limits to guide their work. it's a fascinating concept - i could dwell on it forevermore.

TR: i know, boo hoo for me; have you been there?

jess: glad it was meaningful to you; i hope your new job started well...

thanks everyone for lovely comments...

please sir said...

What a great topic to explore. I think we all have a love/hate for limits and barriers. They can help us, but can also restrict us. I think you are right in that you need to find a good balance.

Kelly C. said...

yes! you hit the nail on the head... and in such a visually compelling way. beautiful work.

*
p.s. go to cuba!! it's amazing. things will be so different in a few years. go now!