Sunday, July 27, 2008

escaping on paper


sometimes i wonder how and why doodles and words emerge. i find it fascinating to think about the process behind creative explosions. do you? if you sat down an hour later to do your thing, would the result be the same? did the dog barking set you on a new tangent? has your idea been percolating for days or months or did it just pop into your head? what fun to think about how differently everyone's brains work. thinking about thinking is an easy way to get lost in thought for a long, long time.

today was a good day, but a fast one. i'm not sure where it went. first thing this morning we walked downtown for bagels and coffee - and it wouldn't be a normal lawrence experience without running into at least two people we knew (and we don't know that many people) - which we did - and this afternoon our friend amanda made a surprise pit stop on her way home from KC - she runs a PR firm called 'pigs fly' which i think is just a fabulous name.

midnight. it's pizza time. i'll see you tomorrow unless i get lost in thought.

18 comments:

♥ Tiny Red said...

interesting thought: how we process our ideas, etc... got me thinking now...

have a great sunday, i'm enjoying a very lazy one with a chilled glass of pink milk :)

aimee said...

thought a little too long last night - faucet was on until 3, girls were up before 7 - so this tired artsy girl is taking it lazy and EZ too...

Krissy said...

Hope you enjoyed your midnight pizza!!

hrsj said...

you are a night owl!

sometimes i get an idea and i drop everything because i have to make it, right then and there. other times they simmer until i figure out where to begin. sometimes i have to mentally prepare myself to work on an idea, be/c i know it will take time.

i hope you got a nap today :)

Laura said...

Aimee - I gave you a blog award on my blog. musingsoncollage.blogspot.com

aimee said...

TR: so is pink milk britspeak or TRspeak? i think i'd just call it strawberry milk :) see you finally got me using these darn things :) they do work :)

hi krissy - pizza was GREAT as pizzas at midnight always are...

heather: did you survive the heat today? we spent the afternoon at the pool; all i did was chase #2 around like a pinball. so no nap, but i sense night owl flying in for the evening nonetheless :)

i'm getting used to these lil thingies :) :) :) they're cute :) but still slightly foreign like a new haircut :)

and thank you so much laura! my first blog award!

please sir said...

The design and thought process always amazes me too - have a fun pizza night!

Scatterbrain Tal said...

I LOVE to see creative process and scribbles of different people. follow their track of thoughts...
I'm glad you posted on my blog coz now I got to know your lovely blog as well! :)
I love your works and thoughts which I find very interesting.:)

Esti said...

Great topic. I should think more about ideas getting their way across to the paper...
:)

design for mankind. said...

Ha, I wonder the same--- HOW do you do it? :)

meryl's musings said...

I discovered your blog after visiting Megan Coyle's blog -- these are wonderful doodles. More than just your average doodling though -- fun to read, so creative. I'd like to link to your blog from mine if you don't mind.

mushroommeadows said...

I wish I could get lost in thought...life is VERY distracting right now. :)

Anyway, PIZZA! yum yum! :)

Kelly C. said...

i think the creative process, with its tangents and u-turns, is so fascinating. beautiful post. you always make me smile while i think about art!!
*)

aimee said...

welcome scatterbrain tal (i love that name) and meryl - of course -link away!

thanks everyone for great comments :)

♥ Tiny Red said...

tinyred speak!
i'm always surprised that everyone asks the same question: what on earth is pink milk???
hahahahahah

Megan Coyle said...

your colors are fantastic!! and I love how the figure looks like a swaying tree

aimee said...

oh it does look like a swaying tree, doesn't it? i didn't realize.

T, see your post for further commentary on pink milk.

Forever Young said...

i like to escape into my drawings too. hugs.