Thursday, July 24, 2008

bursts of color

things that are helping me cope with my limits today [more difficult than usual; i am close to giving up hope that toddlers grow up and become reasonable people]:


drawing a colorful garden that needs no roots to sprout and never needs watering...


reconnecting this week with an old friend, my best pal when i was 17. we made it our duty to turn rural indiana as upside down as possible, driving locals and high school teachers crazy in the process... she skated away into the ranks of the expatriates after college, and we lost touch as so often happens with the flow of life. smiles to you if you're out there reading this and keep on trucking...

getting the new issue of teesha moore's art & life in the mail... full of color and great lettering as always. going into her world always brightens my day. teesha is so open about her artistic process and life experiences, and never afraid to try something new and tell us about it.

and one more thing... a little package arrived from my sister with my favorite trader joe's sea salt scrub. trader joe's and IKEA are the two stores i starve without here in kansas, but often i appreciate things more when i can't get them whenever i want. so thank you...

ah. i had a big scowl on my face when i sat down to write this, and now i'm smiling and happy again.

11 comments:

mushroommeadows said...

your art makes me smile too! :)

Krissy said...

Glad you turned your frown upside down! What fun to reconnect with an old friend :) There are so many I've lost touch with over the years...

nina seven said...

aimee - i always enjoy reading your posts and looking at your beautiful art and lettering. your toddler will grow and will reason with you one day, sooner than you think...hang in there and try to enjoy the moments. pretty soon, he or she will be wanting the car! thanks for your comment, i really appreciate it!

jess gonacha said...

good for you for doing things to get out of a funky mood! i've been facing the same thing today-- i love being able to come to your blog and read about how you are inspiring yourself. :)

by the common denominator said...

Your post today reminded me of something... You're the best friend I ever had and I'm glad we found each other. I always thought your artwork was brilliant and I didn't think something perfect could get better, but every day I read your blog proves me wrong. Your a master of drawing out and articulating your feelings. Hochma, moo cow. Can't wait for tomorrow's post to brighten up my day.

hrsj said...

and a garden that never needs weeding. :)

that's so great to be spending time with a friend from high school and be in touch with them still!

and I can't imagine you with much of a frown aimee. :)

aimee said...

thanks for all the comments guys -

nina: i'll hold out hope then...

heather: oh i forgot about the weeding part! yes, it never needs weeding, either. and i'm a very, VERY good frowner...

jess: hope you get out of your
funky mood - read art & life; it will help...

CD: you're a best friend i get to see every day; it doesn't get better than that. and i want you to play me a song with that guitar tonight.

♥ Tiny Red said...

great! always good to catch up with old friends inst it?!! and as for the garden... lucky you... :)

aimee said...

T: those were super pictures of cuba, fantastic actually; i know it's possible to go with the right scheme but i'm more of a drifter than a plotter... it's just that being told i can't go is so very irksome.

Christy said...

Sorry you had a rough day! It's been awhile since I've checked in (it's been a little rough here, too). We've missed all three of you lately. Let's get together again soon, okay?

e. beck said...

toddlers do turn into reasonable folk ... then they go to middle school and its like starting all over! ..... who is this person and how come he can't listen to a single thing i say?