Thursday, June 19, 2008

a surprise




after my daily tussle with #1 to get dressed and to the arts center on time this morning, i went outside to find five art students sketching our house. it changed my mood instantly; i love little surprises (pleasant ones) that interrupt the normal flow of the day. now, I love our house, but i was intrigued by why these students chose it for their drawings. my first thought was that it faces east and has the full attention of the sun in the morning; jared thought perhaps they were attracted by the exceptional handiwork he did on the brick steps last weekend. i didn't ask them why - it was more fun to wonder. whatever the reason, it was fascinating to see our old, crazy little house evolve on paper through the eyes of others.

3 comments:

hrsj said...

that's so fun to see what they're drawing of your house! a little surprise for your day :)

where did your picture of you go? your icon?

oh, and i got nervous that it was friday for a sec, that i missed something.... "took #1 to the arts center"...
whew

aimee said...

going sans identity right now; i got sick of looking at myself (an old version, no less) every time i posted a comment, and can't settle on an icon!

nina just finished up pottery, painting & printmaking this morning - they did some amazing stuff this week! until tomorrow - xoxo

Christy said...

What a great surprise! I remember taking a photo of someone's interesting-looking house in east Lawrence for class way back when I was a student... its inhabitant came out of the house to shoo me away. Scared the bejeezus out of me. How nice that you let them stay!