Sunday, June 29, 2008

oh, to be five




this afternoon i was combing through the mess-of-the-weekend around the house when a few of #1's paintings caught my eye. five year olds have such magic and they don't even know it. they have the skills and just enough knowledge of the world to start performing their interpretations of it on paper, yet they're not old enough to criticize their work or even to think of it as work. i should look at her drawings more often. in them i see what's going on in her mind, which i'm not always able to read easily. i see the magic of what it must be like to simply draw what's on my mind without thinking about who is going to see it or whether they'll like it or not.

so, this afternoon, i'd like to be five again. (but just for an hour.)

9 comments:

design for mankind. said...

Oh how cute are these?!

Esti said...

I totally agree: I'm jealous of 5-year-olds art! My 5 yr old daughter has her head full of princesses right now, and sometimes I get inspired by her too!
Thanks for commenting on my blog! It's nice to have new visitors and so it is to discover new blogs like yours. I'll be back! ;)

Thereza Rowe said...

awwww, sooo cute! so free! i love them :)

Nicola said...

Yes, aren't they proof are all naturally artists! I love young children's sense of detachment--it seems to fuel their creativity.

Common Denominator said...

Can I keep the original?

aimee said...

welcome esti and nicola, great to have you here - thank you for visiting! i envy that freedom and detachment in children's art, too!

oh, yes, common denominator (proud daddy of #1) gets to keep all of the originals. xoxo

enchantedcurious said...

yep...its that freedom that appeals to me too. I find it really challenging finding ways to preserve that innocence for my girls. thanks for sharing..

hrsj said...

i love watching your daughter draw. it's really amazing. she has so many stories and ideas up there in that little head of hers. :)

Forever Young said...

i teach 4 year olds and i adore kid's art, i often post it on my blog, their innocence and wonder blows me away..their fearlessness when they put crayon to paper and their joy and pride at the end results!